Tufts news?

sosostris

Congrats to those who have been accepted to Tufts. Do you all plan to go there? If so, what's the deal with their funding? It looks like with the scholarship we'd still owe about $20,000 in tuition and only have the possibility of earning about $4,000 per semester, not including the first semester. How do people make that work? 

On 3/14/2019 at 4:55 PM, elger said:

Congrats to those who have been accepted to Tufts. Do you all plan to go there? If so, what's the deal with their funding? It looks like with the scholarship we'd still owe about $20,000 in tuition and only have the possibility of earning about $4,000 per semester, not including the first semester. How do people make that work? 

Super curious how people make this work myself. I imagine you'd have to teach two courses rather than one so that you could double your pay so that you could afford to feed yourself? And then just take on the burden of that 20k in loans for the remaining tuition costs. For low-income students like me, I am not sure I could make this offer work. But maybe there are other options that I am unaware of that could help make this more feasible! 

56 minutes ago, nonbeingandsomethingness said:

Super curious how people make this work myself. I imagine you'd have to teach two courses rather than one so that you could double your pay so that you could afford to feed yourself? And then just take on the burden of that 20k in loans for the remaining tuition costs. For low-income students like me, I am not sure I could make this offer work. But maybe there are other options that I am unaware of that could help make this more feasible! 

According to my knowledge we are guaranteed at least one TA-ship throughout our four semesters with the usual being two. In special circumstances a third TA-ship can be offered but that's still only around $13k for the four semesters of study. Even with the generous, by Tufts standards, tuition remission I was given I am having a hard time seeing how this could possibly be made to work for lower income students. I would love to attend, but I am having a hard time making these numbers be feasible in anyway shape or form. That is unless I'm totally missing something which I would love to be informed of.

5 hours ago, nonbeingandsomethingness said:

4 hours ago, Astraneous said:

According to my knowledge we are guaranteed at least one TA-ship throughout our four semesters with the usual being two. In special circumstances a third TA-ship can be offered but that's still only around $13k for the four semesters of study. Even with the generous, by Tufts standards, tuition remission I was given I am having a hard time seeing how this could possibly be made to work for lower income students. I would love to attend, but I am having a hard time making these numbers be feasible in anyway shape or form. That is unless I'm totally missing something which I would love to be informed of.

I'd love to be corrected but I think that's just everything. Tufts and Brandeis are known for small fundings, with the cost of living in Boston making things worse. I mean, personally, I won't go into debt because of it, but I still find it hard to choose it over another fully funded offer.

24 minutes ago, Cytem said:

I'd love to be corrected but I think that's just everything. Tufts and Brandeis are known for small fundings, with the cost of living in Boston making things worse. I mean, personally, I won't go into debt because of it, but I still find it hard to choose it over another fully funded offer.

Realistically speaking would there be that much of a difference in my chances at getting into a top PhD program if I took GSU's much more generous offer. Looking at their records it's clear Tufts has the upper hand, not to mention I hear they're fantastic at building their student's philosophical network. GSU is definitely competitive it just doesn't have that 'prestige' buzz that may be a factor when it comes to applying two years down the line.

It's not as if I have much of a choice though considering I am not willing to go $50k+ in debt for Tufts when I could get a completely free ride from GSU. It  just sucks because I managed to get into my top pick, but don't have the funds to follow through. Ah well, least I got accepted.

Edited by Astraneous

4 hours ago, Astraneous said:

Realistically speaking would there be that much of a difference in my chances at getting into a top PhD program if I took GSU's much more generous offer. Looking at their records it's clear Tufts has the upper hand, not to mention I hear they're fantastic at building their student's philosophical network. GSU is definitely competitive it just doesn't have that 'prestige' buzz that may be a factor when it comes to applying two years down the line.

It's not as if I have much of a choice though considering I am not willing to go $50k+ in debt for Tufts when I could get a completely free ride from GSU. It  just sucks because I managed to get into my top pick, but don't have the funds to follow through. Ah well, least I got accepted.

You should also consider how happy you would be at GSU. If you only take that program because of the funding, but end up being miserable there, it might do you more harm than the debt at Tufts.

Edited by DoodleBob

6 hours ago, DoodleBob said:

You should also consider how happy you would be at GSU. If you only take that program because of the funding, but end up being miserable there, it might do you more harm than the debt at Tufts.

I'd definitely be happy there considering it is my second choice it's just that I was banking on my first choice, i.e. Tufts, declining me. Now that I was accepted to my first choice I'm trying to see how I could possibly make it work out. As you can see through the thread, however, that's probably not going to pan out. Naturally there's some slight disappointment at that, but if I do end up at GSU I wouldn't loathe it by any measure- as is apparent though I would prefer Tufts.

1 hour ago, Astraneous said:

I'd definitely be happy there considering it is my second choice it's just that I was banking on my first choice, i.e. Tufts, declining me. Now that I was accepted to my first choice I'm trying to see how I could possibly make it work out. As you can see through the thread, however, that's probably not going to pan out. Naturally there's some slight disappointment at that, but if I do end up at GSU I wouldn't loathe it by any measure- as is apparent though I would prefer Tufts.

Good! Mental health is important, especially among grad students. I hope you have a wonderful time at GSU!