George Washington University or Colorado School of Public Health??

plzhelpmph

I've recently been admitting to GWU and Colorado School of Public Health for Global Environmental Health. I'm receiving my BS in Environmental Science with a concentration in Public Health. I have had 2 years of undergraduate research in a lab. I'd just like to get some thoughts and opinions on what each school is like and which would be a better option? 

Thank you!

Edited by plzhelpmph

17 hours ago, epiapplicant2019 said:

is this for a phd or masters?

I'm guessing MPH based on the name lol

I'm going through the decision-making process now too. What factors are you considering? I went on each school's website and made a list of potential classes that looked interesting and compared them. And I looked at professors' research interests. Apart from academics, I'm taking into account location and cost.

i don't know much about colorado state, but i would say the connections you can make in DC, depending on what you want to do, may outweigh the overall cost. for instance, there are a ton of organizations that work globally in DC, and while I am swimming in debt from GW (holler PSLF program), overall it was worth it for the connections i made.

Current DrPH student at Colorado School of Public Health. I echo what Epiapp… said. The cost of GW is outrageous and a degree from there doesn't necessarily guarantee the contacts and access I'd assume you want. CSPH isn't cheap either for out-of-state students but you can get residence after the first year. Denver has a fair amount of NGOs and students are making overseas practica work. Off the top of my head, I have two friends that completed practica in Belize and with the UN in Switzerland. They are also both Community and Behavioral Health concentrations, so assume Global folks would have higher percentages of international experiences. Colorado's location may be a plus as many students do come here for the quality-of-life then stick around after they graduate. Cost-of-living isn't terrible and recreation opportunities abound. That said, this is a regional school with a growing national and international reputation. If you want to work for a fancy NGO, and can handle the debt, GW is probably the way you want to go. I don't have a lot of student loan debt but many of my friends in the professional world do and it is crushing their lives and stifling their choices - career, family, location and otherwise. 

Also consider whether the MPH will get you to where you want to go professionally. It is still a generalist degree and you will be competing with many others for entry-level positions. I recommend heavy engagement in extracurriculars from the start that take you toward your desired next step.

Good luck!