Accept Informal Acceptance?

Sabr_Shukr

Hi Everyone, 

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I was formally accepted to a program: it's a great program, the PI is amazing, and the research project sounds great! However, this was my second choice. 

I also got an INFORMAL acceptance to my dream school, same program, awesome PI, and the research project is amazing. 

However, I have to submit a decision to my second choice school in a week and I won't get an official acceptance to my top choice until July. 

Any suggestions on how to navigate this? 

Thanks in advance :)

Can you ask to get an earlier formal acceptance? July seems very late for a formal acceptance to be issued. I personally wouldn't consider anything official until it's official. I've heard of programs issuing a formal acceptance a week or so later, but months is a little strange. 

"Dear Dream School,

I am extremely excited about Dream School and I will definitely attend if accepted, as it is my first choice! However, I have received a formal offer from my second choice program, and they need my response by {date}. While I am very happy that I have received an informal offer from Dream School, is there any way I could be given a formal offer by this date? I feel uncomfortable turning down the other program before receiving an official offer from Dream School, which I would absolutely love to attend.

Thank you,

{you}"

"Dear Second Choice,

I am very excited about my acceptance to work with {PI} at Second Choice. It's an incredible opportunity, and it aligns perfectly with my research interests!

I understand that the response deadline is {date}. However, I still have one outstanding application, and I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to hear back before committing fully. Is there any way for me to receive a short extension on my decision? 

Thank you,

{you}"

17 hours ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

Can you ask to get an earlier formal acceptance? July seems very late for a formal acceptance to be issued. I personally wouldn't consider anything official until it's official. I've heard of programs issuing a formal acceptance a week or so later, but months is a little strange. 

It's because I was 5 days late in finding a supervisor so I applied as a late applicant and the deadline is June 15 (but I received my informal acceptance now) and they won't send the official one out until July. 

16 hours ago, crazycheese8 said:

"Dear Dream School,

I am extremely excited about Dream School and I will definitely attend if accepted, as it is my first choice! However, I have received a formal offer from my second choice program, and they need my response by {date}. While I am very happy that I have received an informal offer from Dream School, is there any way I could be given a formal offer by this date? I feel uncomfortable turning down the other program before receiving an official offer from Dream School, which I would absolutely love to attend.

Thank you,

{you}"

Thank you, this is really helpful!