Research vs. Clinic Opportunities

I am currently deciding on a graduate school to attend, and I am interested in pediatric dysphagia. I hope to eventually get a PhD in this topic, so I hope to get some relevant research under my belt during graduate school. One school I am considering has researchers on this topic, and the other does not. However, the school that does not indicated that I may be able to do research (likely not a full-blown thesis, however) on the topic, and has an externship, making a placement in the NICU much more attainable than in the school with pediatric dysphagia research. Does anyone have any insight as to what would be better for my future career? Likely NICU clinic with minimal research or possible NICU clinic with thesis research?

I would think that on-hands clinical experience in that population would be more beneficial if you plan to work right out of graduate school. If you plan to pursue a PhD right away, then the thesis would be better experience. Make sure to contact the professor at the program with the thesis option and ask if they would be willing to mentor you. 

Agree with @SLPmb, the timing of what you want to do first seems important. I know there is a shortage of PhD SLPs so if you show a lot of drive and relevant research it seems like you'd have a good shot. Maybe you could contact some of the program directors at the universities you could see yourself going to for your PhD to see what they would value more and how likely they are to accept someone right out of their masters.