Am I prepared for graduate math/cs research?

Logic

I plan to apply this Fall to PhD's in applied math and computer science. I want to specialize in bioinformatics and computational neuroscience. I majored in physics so I took calc I-IV, linear algebra, stats, and diff eq 1-2, programming, and even a biophysics course. I also took thermo, quantum, stat mech, and e & m.

But all my research is in bio and neuro labs (not math/physics/cs labs) in computational research. My recommendations, too, would be from bio and neuro prof's, but they've supervised my programming/computing abilities. 

Am I prepared for the quantitative/computational part of PhD's in applied math and computer science? Or am I just being unnecessarily anxious?

Many thanks.

For Applied Math PhD, you'll need undergraduate Real Analysis.

For CS PhD, you'll need coursework on Data Structures and Algorithms (at least), and maybe Theory of Computation.

Though your mileage may vary, almost all competitive PhD applicants I know have the above-mentioned coursework in their transcript.

3 hours ago, Bayequentist said:

For CS PhD, you'll need coursework on Data Structures and Algorithms (at least), and maybe Theory of Computation.

Though your mileage may vary, almost all competitive PhD applicants I know have the above-mentioned coursework in their transcript.

ty. do you have any suggestions for how I could take those courses? I finished my undergrad in spring of 2017, and since then I've been working as a post-bac at the NIH (IRTA). Would it have to be through a local university?

6 hours ago, Logic said:

ty. do you have any suggestions for how I could take those courses? I finished my undergrad in spring of 2017, and since then I've been working as a post-bac at the NIH (IRTA). Would it have to be through a local university?

I live near the NIH and have some friends + family who work there. Usually the staff at the NIH (your lab director, etc.) will know the best spots but UMD is a fairly good school and would be a good place to take them over the summer if you are planning on applying next cycle. If you are living in DC rather than MD, then trying Georgetown or GW for over the summer as well. American would be 3rd on that list, then George Mason if you are living in VA. Hope this helps a little.

9 hours ago, BL250604 said:

I live near the NIH and have some friends + family who work there. Usually the staff at the NIH (your lab director, etc.) will know the best spots but UMD is a fairly good school and would be a good place to take them over the summer if you are planning on applying next cycle. If you are living in DC rather than MD, then trying Georgetown or GW for over the summer as well. American would be 3rd on that list, then George Mason if you are living in VA. Hope this helps a little.

18 hours ago, Bayequentist said:

Ty for both of your responses. After giving some thought to things, I've decided not to apply for PhDs in computer science. Instead I'll focus on areas in physics and engineering (as that matches my background more appropriately) and pursue computational neuroscience research through those departments. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Ty for both of your responses. After giving some thought to things, I've decided not to apply for PhDs in computer science. Instead I'll focus on areas in physics and engineering (as that matches my background more appropriately) and pursue computational neuroscience research through those departments. 

Your background is indeed enough for admission to Computational Science programs. You should head over to the Biology forum if you wanna ask about comp. neuro. programs! Most people on this forum only know about math/stats/biostats.

Edited by Bayequentist

On 3/21/2019 at 8:15 PM, Bayequentist said:

Your background is indeed enough for admission to Computational Science programs. You should head over to the Biology forum if you wanna ask about comp. neuro. programs! Most people on this forum only know about math/stats/biostats.

Ty, I'll be sure to ask questions in the bio forum as I come up with more questions. I'll be applying to computational science programs, but probably not PhDs in computer science - seeing as how my background doesn't appropriately fit them as well as it could other programs (unless I feel ready to prove my CS knowledge in classes I haven't taken). Instead I'll focus on programs that are physics-based or maybe even engineering-based.

I agree that CS PhD is not the right path, as you would have to take a lot of extra prerequisites.  If you wanted to go applied math route, you'd have to take analysis.  If you want to study bioinformatics or neuroscience though, why not just apply to bioinformatics or (computational) neuroscience PhD programs? Seems a lot more straightforward than going to get a PhD in physics and then somehow hoping you eventually get to move into those other areas with a post-doc.

On 3/26/2019 at 10:12 PM, bayessays said:

I agree that CS PhD is not the right path, as you would have to take a lot of extra prerequisites.  If you wanted to go applied math route, you'd have to take analysis.  If you want to study bioinformatics or neuroscience though, why not just apply to bioinformatics or (computational) neuroscience PhD programs? Seems a lot more straightforward than going to get a PhD in physics and then somehow hoping you eventually get to move into those other areas with a post-doc.

That's what I'm planning on. I just meant I'd look for programs that better suit my physics background.