Prerequisite Classes: Longwood vs. USU

Hey everyone! I need to take 3 online courses before starting grad school in the fall. I need to take Introduction to Audiology, Speech Science, and Anatomy/Physiology of the Speech Mechanism. The two online schools that have stuck out to me most were Longwood University and Utah State University.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these schools' online programs? Any information would be super helpful! Or is there another online school that you could suggest?

34 minutes ago, slptobe! said:

I’m taking a class at longwood right now for the same reason, it works out perfectly for me ☺️ 

Nice! What class are you currently taking at Longwood, if you don't mind me asking? Also, for the exams, do you need to find a proctor?

I’m taking the neuro for human communication course (PCSD 455), and there’s only a final at the end of the semester with quizzes each module. You don’t need a proctor, you take them on your computer wherever, but you have to use a lockdown browser during it. But it’s been very manageable, a set of things are due every other week so you can do work when you get the chance. 

I am registered for a class at Longwood for this summer. I will be taking phonology and language disorders (PCSD 314) . One thing that stood out to me was that they offer reasonably priced out of state tuition. 

Edited by itsaspeechthing

I took a class over the summer at Longwood, I had a wonderful experience with the professor and fellow classmates. A few of us even helped each other complete quizlets and google docs, test were online and professor was always extremely quick to get back with me with answers to any and every question! I actually took the class the person above is taking! 

1 hour ago, SLPmb said:

I took classes through USU and thought the classes were great! Very well organized and you can take proctored exams at home. 

Nice! What classes have you taken at USU? I decided to go with USU instead of Longwood since I am missing a prerequisite for one of the classes I want to take! Whereas at USU I was able to override the prerequisites.

Also, do professors/TA's tend to be responsive to student emails if we need to clarify something? I have never taken online classes and am not too sure how personable the teachers tend to be with students.

Thanks!

On 3/27/2019 at 2:36 PM, itsaspeechthing said:

I am registered for a class at Longwood for this summer. I will be taking phonology and language disorders (PCSD 314) . One thing that stood out to me was that they offer reasonably priced out of state tuition. 

I need this same course for my program. When does it start/how much per credit hour? 

USU has great professors! i'm there now and they are super responsive. I've never had to wait more than a day for a response. most get back to you within a few hours! It's organized so well so taking classes online is stress free! And the classes are really informative and practical 

8 hours ago, TW143 said:

USU has great professors! i'm there now and they are super responsive. I've never had to wait more than a day for a response. most get back to you within a few hours! It's organized so well so taking classes online is stress free! And the classes are really informative and practical 

Nice! What classes are you currently taking, if you don't mind me asking ?

8 hours ago, Anna Wang said:

I need all five prereqs-but they all seem to need another class to override. Basically, I can't take them all at the same time at USU which I have to do to start fall.

At USU you can email their program coordinator and she will give you a form where you can request to override the prerequisites! It can be done.