Counseling -Non Psych Thread

Le Chat

Hello all,

Now that I have switched from the Psych field to Counseling I wanted to open up a thread for applicants to Counseling Master's and Counselor Education PhD programs.

Whether you are studying School Counseling, Rehabilitation Counseling etc... this is open to you!

On 4/8/2019 at 12:55 PM, dancedementia said:

I'm curious about your transition from psych to counseling! (I'm making the opposite move). What about counseling was a better match for you?

Sure! My main motivation for graduate education has been 1) To contribute to research on individuals with disabilities and 2) To train future/current mental health practitioners on working with individuals with disabilities. As I progressed through my Master's program I realized some of my personal dislike of assessments and testing and mostly that it didn't help me reach my goals. 

It's mostly due to the focus on what meets my goals, the accessibility of those programs versus Psych, and the greater ability to train future mental health practitioners at the Master's level.

And it is also largely personal logistics that shifted my focus.

18 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

It's mostly due to the focus on what meets my goals, the accessibility of those programs versus Psych, and the greater ability to train future mental health practitioners at the Master's level.

Makes sense! I take it you're planning on applying to PhD programs in Counselor Ed?

20 hours ago, dancedementia said:

Makes sense! I take it you're planning on applying to PhD programs in Counselor Ed?

Yes! And possible Rehabilitation Counselor Education.