When to take ASHA pre-requisites?

I was just wondering when others are planning to take their ASHA pre-requisites (Physics, Biology, Statistics, Social Sciences etc)? I have heard of many students taking them during their graduate programs but that seems to be a lot of added work. I am wondering if it is better to complete them BEFORE starting the Masters degree or to defer the Masters degree to start later in order to get these pre-requisites out of the way first?

Does anybody have any thoughts or any experience with this? My understanding is that a graduate degree is already hectic and stressful enough so I am not sure if it's wise to take these pre-requisites concurrently with the Masters program.

I wouldn't take them concurrently with your Masters. How many prereqs do you need? If you only need one or two classes, you can take them over this summer. If there are quite a few classes you need to take, deferring might be necessary. 

2 minutes ago, samiamslp said:

I wouldn't take them concurrently with your Masters. How many prereqs do you need? If you only need one or two classes, you can take them over this summer. If there are quite a few classes you need to take, deferring might be necessary. 

I have to take 3 of them altogether.

58 minutes ago, Bookworm111 said:

I was just wondering when others are planning to take their ASHA pre-requisites (Physics, Biology, Statistics, Social Sciences etc)? I have heard of many students taking them during their graduate programs but that seems to be a lot of added work. I am wondering if it is better to complete them BEFORE starting the Masters degree or to defer the Masters degree to start later in order to get these pre-requisites out of the way first?

Does anybody have any thoughts or any experience with this? My understanding is that a graduate degree is already hectic and stressful enough so I am not sure if it's wise to take these pre-requisites concurrently with the Masters program.

The majority of my programs required they be completed prior to entering the program and looked favorably on them being completed by the time of the application. Even if a program didn't require that and they were torn between two candidates, I would want to be the one with the completed pre-reqs! Good luck! :) 

1 hour ago, Bookworm111 said:

I have to take 3 of them altogether.

If you have three, I'd definitely recommend doing them before! I'm doing my bio prerequisite now and while it's not especially difficult, I wouldn't want to be doing it alongside doing grad coursework. I'm doing mine online through a community college, and there's plenty of classes that are offered during the summer.

13 minutes ago, slpgradapplicant said:

Take them before you start your masters program, you don't want to worry about them on top of your COMD classes. Honestly, I did most of mine online and basically went on quizlet for the answers. (Except for stats, I took that in undergrad).

May I ask where you took your pre-requisites? Feel free to private message if you wish. I looked at a syllabus for Physics and because the questions are based on the textbook, I also noticed that quizlet answers a lot of them.