Rutgers New Brunswick (MSW) 2019-2021

v.oye

I figured I would start a thread for those who will be attending Rutgers NB for their MSW since I haven't seen one yet. Looking forward to talking to some of you ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 9:27 AM, RestlesslyWaiting said:

I'm attending this Fall as well! What made you choose Rutgers over some of the other ones in the area? What are your career interests and long term goals?

Hi! I applied and was accepted to NYU, Boston U, Bryn Mawr, & UPenn. Obviously just by the names, they were super expensive. I decided to go to Rutgers because it has what I have heard to be an amazing reputation for the MSW program and a lot of pull from the name (surprisingly to me) both in and out of NJ. It's respected. Another major reason I decided to go to Rutgers was because I couldn't justify going into so much debt for a social work degree. It was really between Rutgers and Penn, and Penn gave me a good chunk of change but it didn't make that much of a difference when their tuition was 100k alone (not including the cost of living in Philly). Given that I'm not expecting to make a ton of $ after I get my Masters, I figured I should go with the better financial option for me, especially if I'm not really taking a hit from an education stand point. I've also heard a couple other students from my school say some things about Penn's program which made me feel a little bit better about turning them away. 

Right now the goal is to become an LCSW, LCADC and work with children to middle adulthood. I don't have any specific areas of focus, and I'm hoping my field placements help me with that. Trauma work sounds really cool, as well as domestic violence work.

What about you?

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2019 at 11:36 PM, v.oye said:

Hi! I applied and was accepted to NYU, Boston U, Bryn Mawr, & UPenn. Obviously just by the names, they were super expensive. I decided to go to Rutgers because it has what I have heard to be an amazing reputation for the MSW program and a lot of pull from the name (surprisingly to me) both in and out of NJ. It's respected. Another major reason I decided to go to Rutgers was because I couldn't justify going into so much debt for a social work degree. It was really between Rutgers and Penn, and Penn gave me a good chunk of change but it didn't make that much of a difference when their tuition was 100k alone (not including the cost of living in Philly). Given that I'm not expecting to make a ton of $ after I get my Masters, I figured I should go with the better financial option for me, especially if I'm not really taking a hit from an education stand point. I've also heard a couple other students from my school say some things about Penn's program which made me feel a little bit better about turning them away. 

Right now the goal is to become an LCSW, LCADC and work with children to middle adulthood. I don't have any specific areas of focus, and I'm hoping my field placements help me with that. Trauma work sounds really cool, as well as domestic violence work.

What about you?

Hi !! I want to get into an online MSW and Im considering Loyola Chicago, Arizona State University and Rutgers ( decent price places). Could you tell me more about your experience in Rutgers with all the good and the bad ? Thank you !