Mental Health Counseling Master's School Decisions..

QAQQAQ

Hello, I'm a senior student right now waiting for offers and making decisions on where to go. I applied to mental health counseling programs but found limited resources on their comparisons in terms of qualities and all that. I got accepted by Northeastern Univ, , NYU, Boston College (all with mental health counseling master's) and University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in master of social work program.

I would love to hear some comments and suggestions in terms of what you think is a good choice or what are some good resources to look at other than their school websites. 

I have a last quick question on Columbia University, Teachers College. I applied to their mental health counseling program as well, but I noticed that they only have 5 or 6 faculty members in this department, and a ton of visiting lecturers. Is anyone currently studying mental health counseling at Teachers College and would like to let me learn a little bit on what your experience is with this program?

Thank you!

Given how varied licensure laws are from state to state for mental health counseling (less so for MSW), I would prioritize the state I'd most likely live and work in, as well as cost of the program. LMHC and LCSWs aren't known for making a ton of money, especially at the start, and student loan interest accumulates quickly. 

What state do you want to live in?

If you plan to stay in NY, do not do NYU. You want an LCSW in NY State to get the best job prospects and salary. 

In the Boston area, BC is extremely well respected. NEU is not far behind but their program seems to encourage folks to go on to doctoral program. 

I'm not familiar enough with UMich to comment.

Edited by dancedementia

I would highly recommend looking into and MSW program instead. It isn't that you cant get work with the program you are looking into, but with the ability to become licensed and become an LSW or a LCSW, you broaden your job prospects drastically. An MSW can get you the same job as having a counseling degree, but the difference is that your LSW is going to get you even more jobs. Jobs that you won't ever qualify for with an MHC  because an MHC cant lead you to become licensed as a SWer in almost every state. IT isn't that you can't get work with your chosen degree, but you are heavily reducing your job prospects and arguably your financial situation also.