UW-Madison 2019

humanpinata

Hey everyone! I haven't seen a thread about Wisconsin-Madison for people starting this fall, so I wanted to start one.

I personally have a ton of questions for other people (housing options, relocation tips, what you've heard about Madison, etc...), and I also want to get to know other people starting programs the same time as me.

Just for background, I am starting my PhD in Political Science. My subfields are American and Methods, and my expertise is in media, political communication, Congress, and elections. I am coming straight out of undergrad (graduating in a month!), and I am a first generation student.

Looking forward to meeting more of you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Starting my MS/PhD in Geography. I know nothing about the Midwest or Madison, but pretty excited for what's ahead. I'm having a hard time with securing housing  and it looks like most leases for the next year are settled in the fall semester. I found a studio for a reasonable price, but it's on Regent Street, which I gather is party central. I'm fairly flexible in my housing needs/wants, but would prefer a standalone, pet-friendly house rather than a big apartment complex Any suggestions? The main housing Facebook group seems mainly geared towards undergrads.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:38 PM, strawberryscone88 said:

Hey, I'm actually going to Chicago for grad school this fall, however, I've lived in Madison my whole life so if you have any questions about Madison I'd be glad to help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 8:04 AM, humanpinata said:

Hey everyone! I haven't seen a thread about Wisconsin-Madison for people starting this fall, so I wanted to start one.

I personally have a ton of questions for other people (housing options, relocation tips, what you've heard about Madison, etc...), and I also want to get to know other people starting programs the same time as me.

Just for background, I am starting my PhD in Political Science. My subfields are American and Methods, and my expertise is in media, political communication, Congress, and elections. I am coming straight out of undergrad (graduating in a month!), and I am a first generation student.

Looking forward to meeting more of you!

If this is your first time to live in a high latitude area like Madison, get prepared for the short day in winter (bright from 7 am to 4 pm). I wasn't aware of this in my first winter and got a bit depressed. An instructor was kind enough to point this out to me. Getting one of these lamps or travelling would be helpful. 

Edited by tranquila