WashU in STL Education PhD

edmajor46

@edmajor46 just chiming in to say I'm interested in what you learn - l live in STL and decided not to apply to WashU as I applied to PhD programs this year - my interests didn't align with the department, and their Ed school is just pretty low profile locally? This isn't to say they don't have phenomenal folks - just that they aren't interfacing with urban education, which is where I've been working. Excited to hear what you learn. I can vouch for STL - my husband and I have been here for 13 years and love it. 

On 4/20/2019 at 4:19 PM, eternalreturn said:

@edmajor46 just chiming in to say I'm interested in what you learn - l live in STL and decided not to apply to WashU as I applied to PhD programs this year - my interests didn't align with the department, and their Ed school is just pretty low profile locally? This isn't to say they don't have phenomenal folks - just that they aren't interfacing with urban education, which is where I've been working. Excited to hear what you learn. I can vouch for STL - my husband and I have been here for 13 years and love it. 

Thank you for your feedback! They aren't interested in urban education? It looks like that is all they are interested in? I love STL and that is the appeal of WashU

Fair enough. I'm speaking more out of having worked in Urban Ed for over a decade here in STL and having very minimal interaction with faculty or students in their programs in St. Louis City schools - so, not to say that isn't their field of interest, just that they're largely off my radar compared to St Louis University or UMSL in terms of engaging locally with urban ed. Also, as someone specifically interested in literacy, their program didn't seem to align to my interests. Again - would love to hear more and hope you get what you are looking for! 

• 6 months later...
On 4/18/2019 at 11:31 AM, edmajor46 said:

Hey there!

Does anyone know much about Washington University in St. Louis PhD program in Education? Anyone who has applied or has attended? Looking for opinions.

Thanks!

Hey! I know this is an older thread but I am also applying for Washu's education PhD for the 2020 cycle. I've lived in St. Louis for several years. How are your apps going?