LIU BROOKLYN

is anyone considering going to this school? I know it is on probation because it had a 75% passing rate on the praxis vs the minimum 80% passing rate that is required (correct me if im wrong). They have added a class so students can pass the praxis. I am considering this school because its such a more convenient communte than the schools i got into in Long Island or out of state. 

I'm a current grad student and honestly, it's not super difficult to pass the praxis since they are multiple choice questions and there's a curve. Since other schools in NY have 90-95% praxis passing rate, I would consider the quality of education that you'll be getting at LIU Brooklyn and how that can also possibly affect what kind of externships you will be offered.

1 hour ago, zurako said:

I'm a current grad student and honestly, it's not super difficult to pass the praxis since they are multiple choice questions and there's a curve. Since other schools in NY have 90-95% praxis passing rate, I would consider the quality of education that you'll be getting at LIU Brooklyn and how that can also possibly affect what kind of externships you will be offered.

Would that mean they have bad externships? I assumed the praxis really depends on the student. Its up to them weither they put in the work to study and pass. Maybe they just had bad students. I saw they do accept people with lower stats. 

54 minutes ago, Pollitopinpin said:

Would that mean they have bad externships? I assumed the praxis really depends on the student. Its up to them weither they put in the work to study and pass. Maybe they just had bad students. I saw they do accept people with lower stats. 

From what I've heard, it seems like a good program will teach you everything you need to pass. It's still a good idea to study, but I've heard of some people who took it without studying and passed, just because their program was solid. I would be concerned that if that many people aren't passing, the program is missing some components that show up on the exam. That doesn't mean people can't still go there and become good clinicians, it just might have to be a little more self-directed with more Praxis prep. Personally, though, I would be hesitant to go anywhere with a pass rate of below 85-90.

15 hours ago, Pollitopinpin said:

Like the other poster said above, if the program is good you don't really have to study much in order to pass (when I was studying I realized I already knew most of the stuff from classes and just needed a refresher).

And it doesn't necessarily mean that they have bad externship opportunities but it is very competitive to get externships in the NYC area, especially medical placements. If other schools can better prepare their students, why would hospitals need to take students from LIU Brooklyn? If you are inclined to go I would ask about what specific places they have a relationship with.