Jump to content
NavIndWmn

SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019 Waitlisted

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I created this thread to have people to commiserate with and to share and gain information on how the waitlist works. I was told by my school I was waitlisted. I need to wait for the mail to determine my score. This is my first SSHRC application.

 

Who else has been waitlisted?

Edited by NavIndWmn
typo in thread title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NavIndWmn said:

I created this thread to have people to commiserate with and to share and gain information on how the waitlist works. I was told by my school I was waitlisted. I need to wait for the mail to determine my score. This is my first SSHRC application.

 

Who else has been waitlisted?

Here for this! I'll update when I learn my score/ waitlist position. Hopefully someone with previous experience being on the waitlist can give us some insight as to roughly how much their position moved on the list in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was waitlisted with a score of 11.1. Not sure what committee but I’m in psychology. My score seems super low compared to the winners so I’m guessing I’m probably low on the list. 

Edited by PsycUndergrad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PsycUndergrad said:

I was waitlisted with a score of 11.1. Not sure what committee but I’m in psychology. My score seems super low compared to the winners so I’m guessing I’m probably low on the list. 

Did your physical letter provide any details on how the waitlist works, when you would be updated, or anything like that? Or it just provided your score/committee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, elodie said:

Did your physical letter provide any details on how the waitlist works, when you would be updated, or anything like that? Or it just provided your score/committee?

It just gave my score, and not much else. Apparently if funds become available, I will be “advised without delay.” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a bitter pill to swallow. I think when you get to this level of schooling you become accustomed to succeeding so something like this is very humbling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know roughly how many people are waitlisted each year? It would  help me contextualize best case/worse case depending on what place in the waitlist I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NavIndWmn said:

Does anyone know roughly how many people are waitlisted each year? It would  help me contextualize best case/worse case depending on what place in the waitlist I am.

Based on my committee last year, 72 awarded, 33 applicants were waitlisted, 64 rejected. Old threads from quite a few years ago claimed that the waitlisted applicants from each committee are amalgamated into a mega waitlist. Claiming you may be 5th on your committee, but then 30th on the mega waitlist? Don't know if this is still the case or accurate? Again if anyone with experience being waitlisted from previous years could chime in with details on how this works? : ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed the SSHRC about my position on the waitlist and received this response:

"Applicants who are advised that their application has been recommended by the committee but not funded are placed on a waiting / recommended list. SSHRC uses these lists, which are committee specific, to offer awards as funds become available. Periodically, supplementary funds may become available as a result of declines of offered awards, interruptions of awards, early termination of previous awards, etc.  These factors make it complex to predict when or if a particular candidate is likely to secure funding during this competition cycle. Consequently, while SSHRC offers candidates with their relative score, SSHRC does not offer candidates their committee specific ranking.
 
Should an award become available, SSHRC will contact the next eligible alternate candidate email."

Guess now we play the waiting game!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, thebestembee said:

I emailed the SSHRC about my position on the waitlist and received this response:

"Applicants who are advised that their application has been recommended by the committee but not funded are placed on a waiting / recommended list. SSHRC uses these lists, which are committee specific, to offer awards as funds become available. Periodically, supplementary funds may become available as a result of declines of offered awards, interruptions of awards, early termination of previous awards, etc.  These factors make it complex to predict when or if a particular candidate is likely to secure funding during this competition cycle. Consequently, while SSHRC offers candidates with their relative score, SSHRC does not offer candidates their committee specific ranking.
 
Should an award become available, SSHRC will contact the next eligible alternate candidate email."

Guess now we play the waiting game!
 

That must be new this year because for the last two years they have forwarded me my exact committee ranking. So they give you no indication whatsoever on roughly where you are on the waitlist? That's disappointing. Thanks for the update though. I guess all we have to go on is our score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've created a Google Sheet to track relevant awards information, if anyone wants to add their information. (All identifying information is optional, obviously)

LINK: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t69LNyYhZv9jj6I8dPrt7m-9VZVluqRPyMtGwraNOF8/edit?usp=sharing

From the answers I've gotten from SSHRC in the past, it seems that waitlist placement is dependant on committee (as are the scores that it takes to be awarded either a CGS-D or a SSHRC Doctoral Award).

DISCLAIMER: I have not received my letter this year, so I don't actually know where I stand right now, other than that my application was forwarded to Ottawa in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I got my letter today in Thunder Bay. 12/20 scored by the multi-disciplinarian committee. Otherwise the same ‘we regret to inform you... but high enough quality’...

Edited by NavIndWmn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waitlisted with a 10. something (low). Going to try to move on now as I'm likely at the end of the waitlist based on the other posts, and will try again next year. Good luck everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, elodie said:

Waitlisted with a 10. something (low). Going to try to move on now as I'm likely at the end of the waitlist based on the other posts, and will try again next year. Good luck everyone! 

What committee? I seen some get a sshrc this year with an 11, it really depends on what committee you end up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NavIndWmn said:

What committee? I seen some get a sshrc this year with an 11, it really depends on what committee you end up with.

How do we know what committee we're with? It's really confusing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was waitlisted with 12.55, my partner got funding with 12.8, and I've seen people on the other thread who've said they were offered with 12. FYI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WKLP said:

How do we know what committee we're with? It's really confusing!

My letter told me what committee and I think when you apply you choose the committee if you’re a direct applicant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did someone on here post winning SSHRC with an 11 even or someone you know? That provides a bit of hope. I know some committees have overall higher ranks than others. But I was rejected last year with a 10.5 (112/170 no where near winning) and waitlisted this year (10ish) with an even lower score, uhg.

The only way to know which specific committee is to email SSHRC directly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, elodie said:

Did someone on here post winning SSHRC with an 11 even or someone you know? That provides a bit of hope. I know some committees have overall higher ranks than others. But I was rejected last year with a 10.5 (112/170 no where near winning) and waitlisted this year (10ish) with an even lower score, uhg.

The only way to know which specific committee is to email SSHRC directly. 

Someone from my school posted on our grad studies fb page they got a regular sshrc with an 11.6. I am not sure what committee it was though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, elodie said:

Did someone on here post winning SSHRC with an 11 even or someone you know? That provides a bit of hope. I know some committees have overall higher ranks than others. But I was rejected last year with a 10.5 (112/170 no where near winning) and waitlisted this year (10ish) with an even lower score, uhg.

The only way to know which specific committee is to email SSHRC directly. 

My letter said adjudicated by the multi-disciplinarian committee or did they mean by a committee composed of multidisciplinarian people. I thought that was my committee 

 

 

ddit: nvm I read it wrong just that is was adjudicated by a multi disciplinarian committee 

Edited by NavIndWmn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NavIndWmn said:

My letter said adjudicated by the multi-disciplinarian committee or did they mean by a committee composed of multidisciplinarian people. I thought that was my committee 

 

 

ddit: nvm I read it wrong just that is was adjudicated by a multi disciplinarian committee 

Yeah I think every letter / every committee is interdisciplinary. And each category you could have picked upon submission has sub committees. So only SSHRC knows which one reviewed your proposal. Previously they would tell us by email, though this year I'm not sure if they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, elodie said:

Yeah I think every letter / every committee is interdisciplinary. And each category you could have picked upon submission has sub committees. So only SSHRC knows which one reviewed your proposal. Previously they would tell us by email, though this year I'm not sure if they are.

Gah, so it's impossible to even be hopeful about getting off waitlist! I really think if they have the info they ought to let us know. Also, it's not very transparent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, WKLP said:

Gah, so it's impossible to even be hopeful about getting off waitlist! I really think if they have the info they ought to let us know. Also, it's not very transparent!

Yeah I have no idea but my guess is there are something like 13 committees in total (2204 applicants).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.