UVA online EdD

ay2019

Hi all! Cannot find any info from anyone who is applying for/admitted to/attending UVA's EdD in its online form. I can't be the only one! I applied for the EdD in Instructional Technology (Fall 2019 - no admissions info yet) but really I'd love to hear from anyone who is familiar with any of the online programs at Curry. So far, the forums and results page are tumbleweeds. 

I, too, applied to the online EdD at UVA for this fall (C&I) and have not yet heard back. I’m currently in the M.Ed. online program at Curry (set to finish this summer). Happy to answer anything I know!

Very cool, I'm so glad there's someone else! How is your experience with Curry online going so far? (I assume (hope?) pretty well if you're going for the EdD online too!) I've chatted with some of the faculty and they all seem super nice and invested in making sure students succeed. Do you feel like doing the degree online is comparable to what you'd get in-person in Charlottesville? 

I did get an email this morning asking for clarification on part of my application, so that should mean they're in the process of reviewing now - fingers crossed! 

The program has been great. I attended undergrad at Wake Forest, and the experience I have had in the online Curry program has compared well to the experience I had there. I would say it's just about as good as online programs get. Most of the professors have been fantastic. 

I certainly have my fingers crossed for the both of us. Did you apply to any other programs? I applied to Appalachian State's online EdD also, and I am still waiting to hear back from them too.

I only applied to UVA since the other programs that fit what I am interested in all have a residency requirement. UVA seems like the best of both worlds - I can study what I am interested in with faculty who are significant in their field without the opportunity cost of leaving a job/city I love. 

But hey, we might be the only two people who applied,  so maybe our chances are good ??.

Not a word! I know the website said it would be 6 weeks after the April 15 deadline, but that hasn't stopped me from checking every hour or so. 

So I got antsy and emailed one of the professors I had met via Zoom to check on the status. She said she could share that I had been accepted (!!!) and that official updates should be coming either this afternoon or early next week! 

Will post on results forum but in case anyone is curious in the future, here are my stats: 

UG GPA - 3.4 from no name LAC (I spent the first two years partying nonstop, the second two getting my act together, so while my overall GPA still sucks, there's a pretty significant upward trend throughout my degree)
MA GPA - 3.8 from brand-name university
GRE - Verbal 169, Quant 144 (Unfortunately, I'm not even surprised this is so low - I'm horrific at math but did decently in grad school data analysis classes, so I think that might have softened the blow of my barely sentient score), AWA 6

5 years experience in nontraditional education

I hope you hear soon! 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of applying for 2020. I am really only interested in this C+I program as it has components and professors who research topics related to all of my interests (curriculum design, ESL, reading, motivation, linguistically and culturally diverse students, secondary social studies). It seems like reading in particular is a big focus at Curry, and adolescent literacy is central to my practice and goals. 

I wonder if anyone would like to speak to the amount of attention one receives from your adviser as an online Ed.D student? 

• 1 year later...

Hi there! I applied for the Ed.D online program about 2 weeks ago and I'm wondering if Curry does admissions interviews. Naturally, I'm super anxious and all my friends have received interview invitations at the schools they are applying to (granted they had earlier application deadlines), so it has highlighted my wait. 

Edited by Kduong

13 hours ago, Kduong said:

Hi there! I applied for the Ed.D online program about 2 weeks ago and I'm wondering if Curry does admissions interviews. Naturally, I'm super anxious and all my friends have received interview invitations at the schools they are applying to (granted they had earlier application deadlines), so it has highlighted my wait. 

Hi! I also applied for the Ed.D online program on 1/15. The website says decisions will be made within 6 weeks of the application deadline, so I'm trying to be patient until then. I don't think that this program does admissions interviews, but I'm not entirely positive about that. Good luck!

8 minutes ago, sunflower1717 said:

Hi! I also applied for the Ed.D online program on 1/15. The website says decisions will be made within 6 weeks of the application deadline, so I'm trying to be patient until then. I don't think that this program does admissions interviews, but I'm not entirely positive about that. Good luck!

Sweet- I hope we become classmates! I saw that on the website too. I'm hoping that someone who has gone through the process can tell me if he/she/they had to do an interview (or if someone has one this cycle before me). That way, if there is one, we can have a dialogue running about what to expect. I have a meeting with a faculty member tomorrow, so if they're allowed to tell me, I'll update this topic.

19 minutes ago, Kduong said:

Sweet- I hope we become classmates! I saw that on the website too. I'm hoping that someone who has gone through the process can tell me if he/she/they had to do an interview (or if someone has one this cycle before me). That way, if there is one, we can have a dialogue running about what to expect. I have a meeting with a faculty member tomorrow, so if they're allowed to tell me, I'll update this topic.

That would be great! I agree, it'd be nice to hear from someone else who went through the process. I met with a faculty member before the application was due, they didn't mention interviews but I definitely should have asked!

On 2/3/2021 at 1:04 PM, Pistachio2021 said:

Hi! Did you learn any new information from your meeting with the faculty member?

21 hours ago, sunflower1717 said:

Hi! Did you learn any new information from your meeting with the faculty member?

Yes! She said she doesn't believe there is an interview for the program. She also mentioned that there seems to be a record amount of applicants this year and the ones she reviewed are highly qualified, so it will be awhile before they reach out to us with a decision. Fingers crossed!

18 minutes ago, Teacher 2021 said:

Hi all, thought I would jump in. Just received notice that I will be interviewing this week for the EDD program. Perhaps they are offering some interviews given the high volume of applicants (maybe they are on the fence about me?). Good luck to all! 

Congrats on the interview and good luck! I'd love to hear if they give you an update on when they will be making/releasing their decisions. 

2 hours ago, Teacher 2021 said:

Hi all, thought I would jump in. Just received notice that I will be interviewing this week for the EDD program. Perhaps they are offering some interviews given the high volume of applicants (maybe they are on the fence about me?). Good luck to all! 

I second Sunflower1717's congratulations. I've always been told that interviews mean you're more a finalist-type applicant than one on the fence, so I hope that boosts your confidence; I wish you the best! Please do let us know how it goes. 

Hi there, YES! The admissions committee member was incredibly encouraging and knowledgeable. I remain very impressed with the program. The admissions officer did mention that because of the volume of applications, they are more likely to make a decision by the end of March and are planning to accept 20-25 people for this cohort. I believe they will be conducting interviews over the next few weeks. Hang in there, it may be awhile! @sunflower1717 @Pistachio2021

Edited by Teacher 2021

37 minutes ago, Teacher 2021 said:

Hi there, YES! The admissions committee member was incredibly encouraging and knowledgeable. I remain very impressed with the program. The admissions officer did mention that because of the volume of applications, they are more likely to make a decision by the end of March and are planning to accept 20-25 people for this cohort. I believe they will be conducting interviews over the next few weeks. Hang in there, it may be awhile! @sunflower1717 @Pistachio2021

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you had a really positive interview experience. I'll try to keep being patient and not check my application portal every single day!