PhD Profile Eval-- Where should I look?

macska

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm starting to look at which schools to apply to for PhD programs. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on schools of which rank I would be a competitive applicant. I'm looking for Fall 2020 start dates, and am hoping to soon make a list of all the programs I want to apply for, but I'm unsure where to start. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

BA: Attended top 50 university, majored in English Literature, minors in Sustainable Development & Creative Writing. GPA 3.8

MA: Attended top 50 school in International Relations, with concentration in development studies. Receiving certificate in religious studies. GPA 3.6 (had a rough first semester due to personal reasons)

GRE: 163v, 152q

Research/Grant Experience: Received two research grants during undergrad for thesis research. Received Fulbright student research grant. Also done a few poster presentations at local conferences.

Teaching Experience: Taught ESL for two years.

Languages: English (native), German (C1), Hungarian (A2)

LORs: Strong letters from current MA professors, might ask research advisor (sociology) from my BA too

Research Interests: Development/IR focus

Any feedback would be super helpful!

What are you aiming for? What are you hoping to do with a PhD? 

Your GRE score is going to hold you back from getting into places in the top 30. Depending on what you want to do with a PhD, it may be very inadvisable to go anywhere ranked lower. 

8 minutes ago, politolog said:

Do you have any training in quantitative methods that might offset your quant GRE score?

Controversial opinion: Honestly if I see someone with an A in calculus or higher level stats (no, stats 101 doesn't count as real quantitative training) and a 152Q, I devalue their entire GPA because their college clearly wasn't rigorous enough. The handle on algebra that one should have to succeed in at the AP Calculus level will yield them a score in the 160s or high 150s at the very least. 

Top schools aren't looking for reasons to accept you. They're looking for reasons to reject you. 

5 hours ago, BunniesInSpace said:

Controversial opinion: Honestly if I see someone with an A in calculus or higher level stats (no, stats 101 doesn't count as real quantitative training) and a 152Q, I devalue their entire GPA because their college clearly wasn't rigorous enough. The handle on algebra that one should have to succeed in at the AP Calculus level will yield them a score in the 160s or high 150s at the very least. 

Top schools aren't looking for reasons to accept you. They're looking for reasons to reject you. 

I doubt this is controversial. I actually agree. It is unlikely that someone who nailed the calculus sequence/any methods course gets a 152Q...

Edited by Mixedmethodsisa4letterword

• 2 months later...

I respectfully disagree about the GREs.  I did well in multiple calc/stats courses (graduated from top 30 private school) yet my first time taking the GREs was a disaster.  I panicked and ran out of time.  

But I agree that 152 requires a re-take. 

No one's saying that the GREs are a perfect reflection of your math skills, but if you are actually good at math you will get a high GRE score after a couple tries at most. GRE math really isn't that complex. And yes, having strong mathematical ability and refined skills means that you will be able to complete problems faster and not run out of time, so if you did well in classes but you can't get at least a 160+ on the GRE, your grades are likely a result of grade inflation. 

Edited by PolPhil