MA for epistemology AOI

philawsophy

Hi all, my main AOI is epistemology, and I'm looking at doing an MA. In particular, I'm looking at GSU and noticed they have one self-identifying epistemologist (Stephen Jacobson). They've also sent two students in the past to Columbia who did formal epistemology. Overall, though, is this a strong program for epistemology? What other programs have strong resources (faculty etc.) for epistemology? Thanks!

Western Michigan University has two people who do epistemology.

You should look into the faculty at NIU. My main AOIs are Metaphysics, Epistemology, and Philosophy of Religion. When I told the director of GSU that I would be taking NIU's offer over GSU because it seemed to be a better fit for my interests, he agreed with me wholeheartedly and said something along the lines of "Although we are sorry you did not accept our offer, given your AOIs, NIU is definitely a better fit for you. We wish you luck."

4 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

Western Michigan University has two people who do epistemology.

I second WMU! I just graduated from there and would be happy to answer any questions about the program via PM. 

Biased but would  highly recommend Brandeis

Beri Marusic is incredible and does a lot of great work esp at the intersection of epistemology, ethics, and action.

Peter Epstein is joining the department  though I'm less familiar with his work

Eli Hirsch, mostly known for his work in meta-ontology wrote a book recently about skepticism and advises epistemology students all the time.

Just now, episteme7 said:

Beri Marusic is incredible and does a lot of great work esp at the intersection of epistemology, ethics, and action.

Eli Hirsch, mostly known for his work in meta-ontology wrote a book recently about skepticism and advises epistemology students all the time.

also- Brandeis epistemology students have done really well, especially in recent years!

5 hours ago, episteme7 said:

Do not pay for an MA if you can. I would suggest applying to a few cheap yet unfunded or minimally funded state schools as a backup to the fully funded programs.

As for state schools to apply to as a backup I can recommend my alma mater San Jose State. In your second year you can teach which will negate the tuition costs. In my own case it equated to about 4,700 a course since my tuition was covered by need funding.

Anand Vaidya does epistemology there, and Rita Manning does a bit of feminist epistemology.