New student welcome day/weekend

Jillybean

Hey everyone,

With so many of us about to take the next step in our journey, I wanted to start a thread about new student welcome days/weekends. I'm NOT referring to interview weekends, nor am I referring to orientation day/ weekends.

I'm talking about the new student welcome tours/weekends that schools ask you to attend after you've been admitted, but before the deadline to accept their offer.

Has anyone been to any yet? Did you enjoy it/ find it valuable? and what are people wearing? (slacks, jeans skirts? Casual? business casual?) What was it like? any advice?

Thanks! :P

My undergrad school held a 'prospective student weekend' for the grads who either accepted or are still thinking of joining their programs in the fall. I volunteered at a few of them and I can say that they are really nice things to participate in.

Business casual attire is an easy choice, but there were some people in suits (hopefully they were comfortable suits!).

The events were spread out over a couple days, you're usually provided with food---breakfast and dinner (with lunch on your own), etc. You will wear a nametag and have a folder of stuff to look through. Hopefully your department will be there (current grads, faculty, advisor/secretaries) so that you're not alone. Even if your department isn't there, EVERYONE is super friendly and it's easy to join a table or group of people. There were talks at each key event, usually about networking and how important relationships are (personal and academic) or maybe bonding games, it varies each time. During this time it's good to make friends with new grads in OTHER departments too, so that you're not compartmentalized when you join up with your cohort in the fall.

In general, these things are for boosting morale / you should be here / we want you to be here / look at what resources we have for you. There's just lots of good stuff happening, so you should go if your program has something like this!

Hey everyone,

With so many of us about to take the next step in our journey, I wanted to start a thread about new student welcome days/weekends. I'm NOT referring to interview weekends, nor am I referring to orientation day/ weekends.

I'm talking about the new student welcome tours/weekends that schools ask you to attend after you've been admitted, but before the deadline to accept their offer.

Has anyone been to any yet? Did you enjoy it/ find it valuable? and what are people wearing? (slacks, jeans skirts? Casual? business casual?) What was it like? any advice?

Thanks! tongue.gif

you've already been accepted... wear whatever the hell you want! flaunt it. ripped jeans and a belly shirt. saying, "hey there school, look what you're gettin'. a piece of THIS! AWW YEAH."

@DariaIRL:, Thanks! I figured business casual was the best bet, but didn't want to show up all dressy when everyone else is wearing ripped jeans and a belly shirt ;)

@jilixi: hilarious! thanks! but i think i'll head the business casual route!