How important are school prestige and pedigree in social work hiring?

MettaSutta

I got accepted to Columbia's FT, 2 year online MSW with $25K/year, but deferred to next fall for financial reasons (will be employed FT in the interim).  I'm getting cold feet for financial reasons.  Is the name brand worth the extra debt? Will it actually open doors?  I'm interested in policy work.  

What is your end goal and what are your other options? If you’re sure you want to be a social worker in the NYC area, it may be worth it. But you are doing the online program, correct? My understanding is that that would lead to fewer networking opportunities. Full disclosure, I turned down Columbia because of the debt, but I also only received 11,000 per year in scholarship funding.

7 hours ago, MettaSutta said:

I got accepted to Columbia's FT, 2 year online MSW with $25K/year, but deferred to next fall for financial reasons (will be employed FT in the interim).  I'm getting cold feet for financial reasons.  Is the name brand worth the extra debt? Will it actually open doors?  I'm interested in policy work.  

Wow, I've never heard of anyone getting $25k! They told me the max they give is $20k and they offered me $18k ? Maybe it's different because I applied to the in-person program...but congratulations, $25k makes a huge difference! It basically brings the total degree cost to $60k. What other options (in terms of schools) are you considering? Personally, I would also ask Columbia how many strong policy placements are available in your area, and what some examples may be. I think ultimately, experiences do trump school name, but sometimes school name can also secure certain placements that might not otherwise be possible. However, even $60k is a lot of debut to take on- and since the max unsubsidized loan is capped at around $20k a year, this means there is a remaining $10k a year that you will have to either finance out of pocket, or take on higher-intrest grad plus loans for.

I do think you made the right decision to defer though-if you are having anxiety over the cost, it's definitely wise to take a step back and really evaluate what is right for you before proceeding. After all, you want to feel excited and fully at ease with the program you are starting! 

• 1 month later...

No. The name is not worth the debt, at all.

I camt seem to locate the thread but there is a post explaining why a schools name isnt worth the debt for an msw. The only thing you should be concerned with ia that it is is CSWE accredited to sit for lisencing. 

No one else really cares what the certificate says. They just want that lisence.