Different GRE Scores on Different Test Dates

When I took the GRE for the first time last week, I felt good about the first essay, but I choked on the second. I froze up and barely got two paragraphs written before time ran out. I knew this would almost certainly ruin my AW score, and I was right: 3.5 AW. I am pretty sure I'm going to retake in order to boost that score since I know I can do better, but I'm actually content with my 164 V and 151 Q. If either of these two scores were to go down the next time I take the test, would admissions committees consider my highest scores on each test, or will they only look at my most recent scores? I feel like I should retake, but I'm nervous about not pulling off the V and Q scores a second time and admissions committees only seeing the lower scores (but the higher AW). 

Edited by karamazov

In my opinion, it is not worth taking the time or money to sit for the GRE again. The GRE is not super-scored, so the admissions committee would most likely only look at your most recent score. I had basically the same score as you (163 V, 150Q, and 3.5AW) and was advised by my mentors that retaking the test was not worth it. The GRE is one of the least important parts of your application package. Schools that still require the test (many schools have moved away from this) will not weigh it as heavily as a writing sample or LOR. 

On 6/22/2019 at 5:50 PM, karamazov said:

When I took the GRE for the first time last week, I felt good about the first essay, but I choked on the second. I froze up and barely got two paragraphs written before time ran out. I knew this would almost certainly ruin my AW score, and I was right: 3.5 AW. I am pretty sure I'm going to retake in order to boost that score since I know I can do better, but I'm actually content with my 164 V and 151 Q. If either of these two scores were to go down the next time I take the test, would admissions committees consider my highest scores on each test, or will they only look at my most recent scores? I feel like I should retake, but I'm nervous about not pulling off the V and Q scores a second time and admissions committees only seeing the lower scores (but the higher AW). 

From everything I've read/heard, not only is the GRE one of the less important parts (like @illcounsel said), but even within that, for English the AW is the least important part of the GRE. As I understand it (and as it's been explained to me), adcomms will understand that timed writing will not showcase your best work. Why would they hold a 3.5 AW against you if you demonstrate your writing skills in your WS and SoP? Why would they trust a standardized test's assessment of your timed writing over an actual piece of your writing that they can evaluate themselves? If you show you can craft good prose in an organized way that conveys thoughtful ideas in your other app materials, your AW shouldn't really affect you. But I totally get the anxiety!