Applying to Notre Dame MTS; concerned about GPA

ascension

I'm applying to the MTS at Notre Dame this season, and would appreciate any advice that successful past applicants might be willing to share. I'm particularly concerned about GPA. I finished my BA at an Ivy with a 3.48 cumulative GPA. The rest of my application -- personal statement, letters of rec, curriculum vitae, writing sample, GRE -- should be excellent, but I'm just worried about the GPA since I've heard that MTS admissions are extremely competitive. Advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by ascension

You already know what the issue is - that GPA at an ivy is going to hurt you. Hopefully everything else mitigates it. Stuart Rojstaczer, I think, use to maintain an ivy league grade inflation calculator that got floated around but I just did a cursory Google search and couldn't find it. I recall a 3.5 correlating to a 2.5-3.1, depending on the school and field in question, Brown being the primary abuser. It's probably buried on his website somewhere.

Hopefully your subject GPA is actually pretty good and a strong upward curve in your last 90 credits. If both are bad and your field is related to theology, that's a nasty hill to climb.

Is ND the only school you're interested in?

15 hours ago, ascension said:

I'm applying to the MTS at Notre Dame this season, and would appreciate any advice that successful past applicants might be willing to share. I'm particularly concerned about GPA. I finished my BA at an Ivy with a 3.48 cumulative GPA. The rest of my application -- personal statement, letters of rec, curriculum vitae, writing sample, GRE -- should be excellent, but I'm just worried about the GPA since I've heard that MTS admissions are extremely competitive. Advice would be much appreciated.

Sharing your research interests and/or professional goals would be useful to the rest of us who may be able to recommend other good fits for you to apply to. I don't think Notre Dame is out of the question (as you said, you expect the rest of your app to be great, and your UG is still an ivy) but I think everyone should apply to at least 4 schools both for security and options in case their situation changes.

It's important to note that MTS programs are not especially competitive, but ND's MTS is. It's also important to ask what was your major/s? If it's in e.g. a STEM field, then things change considerably. Inflation is a known issue at top schools, especially in the humanities, but I doubt anyone will be pulling out their calculator to adjust your GPA accordingly. For what it's worth, I think it will slightly hurt you, but in the end having that Ivy for undergrad will mean a great deal to many American academics, regardless of what it may or may not say about you and your academic progress/prospect. 

4 hours ago, sacklunch said:

in the end having that Ivy for undergrad will mean a great deal to many American academics, regardless of what it may or may not say about you and your academic progress/prospect. 

That's a solid point I overlooked but certain schools will absolutely open doors for you.