Autism research: Clinical or School Psychology?

Hi all! I would love some advice!

I am currently a School Psychologist working in a large school district. I want to go back and get my Ph.D. and do research on Autism Spectrum Disorders. However, I am having some difficulty finding school psychology programs which do research on this subject.  Would it be more prudent for me to look into Clinical Psychology programs or continue my search for a School Psychology PhD program? 

You're in the field so probably have a better perspective than I do, but my understanding is that school psychology is primarily a professionally oriented degree where you learn how to conduct and report assessments related to disabilities and development. ASD is a clinical disorder and clinical programs are much more research-oriented, so I do agree you'll probably have better luck searching there.

On 7/6/2019 at 7:30 PM, RTIAssessmentsandIEPsOhmy said:

Hi all! I would love some advice!

I am currently a School Psychologist working in a large school district. I want to go back and get my Ph.D. and do research on Autism Spectrum Disorders. However, I am having some difficulty finding school psychology programs which do research on this subject.  Would it be more prudent for me to look into Clinical Psychology programs or continue my search for a School Psychology PhD program? 

What is your end goal? A PhD in School Psychology would likely offer more specified training in terms of studying/assessment for ASD, as well as the population age focus. The University of Houston's School Psychology program has some research on ASD, depending on what area of ASD you want to focus on. I think it would be prudent to look at Clinical programs, but the time to completion might be longer as well as the potential conflict of career areas (unless Licensed Psychologist or academia is your focus.)

I am also looking at School Psych PhD programs with emphasis on assessment of ASD and PDD, so best of luck to you!