GRE STUDY TIPS, MAGOOSH? SLP

murph278

Hi all!!! I'm an incoming senior at Purdue who is about to take her GRE for the first time in August. I am currently on a study plan with Magoosh. For those have relied on magoosh, did you feel this program helped prepare you for the test? What are some good tips for studying? What do you wish you knew/did differently? Best!~

Hi! I just took the GRE last week (V165, Q166), and I'm still waiting on my writing score (I expect no less than a 4, for that's what I got three years ago). I used the Magoosh GRE flashcards app, and I found it helping me a lot! I went through the 1000 words/20 lists twice (once between May to June, and the second time two days and the morning before the test), and used the Princeton 1027 prep question book, all six prep tests from the Cracking the GRE Premium Edition (two in the book and four online), and the two prep tests provided by ETS. I also found preparing the argument essay really helped me with the "which statement strengthens/weakens an argument" questions in the verbal section. I can't speak much for the math section, because I didn't really prepare for it. But definitely practicing as much as possible is key! Good luck on your GRE! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 9:57 PM, murph278 said:

Hi all!!! I'm an incoming senior at Purdue who is about to take her GRE for the first time in August. I am currently on a study plan with Magoosh. For those have relied on magoosh, did you feel this program helped prepare you for the test? What are some good tips for studying? What do you wish you knew/did differently? Best!~

Magoosh is great. They have over 700 quant and about 600 verbal timed questions and 4 practice tests. Mike is an expert and if you're not someone for whom math comes naturally, you'll be good to go after watching all the Magoosh math content and practicing the questions.

• 6 months later...

Magoosh was the only resource I used for my GRE and It helped me tremendously to get a good grade. Totally worth it, I would say quickly finish up the videos, take notes of the most important things to reference (E.g. formulas etc), and then spend the majority of your time solving questions.

Every question you got wrong, note it down and write down the formula/trick that was used to solve it. You will end up with 5-10 pages reference. That what worked for me!

If you care about your score on the writing section, my best tip is to come up with maybe 5-8 good "GRE words" that you really understand and can use well in a sentence. Memorize them and work them into your essay no matter what the topic (there are plenty of words than can be used when discussing a variety of topics - assuage, precipitate, laudable, engender, venerate, etc). I'm not good at using big words in my everyday writing, so this really helped me. It was the only meaningful change I made and went from a 4.5 to 5.5 on writing. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2020 at 8:42 PM, Gatech_ST said:

Magoosh was the only resource I used for my GRE and It helped me tremendously to get a good grade. Totally worth it, I would say quickly finish up the videos, take notes of the most important things to reference (E.g. formulas etc), and then spend the majority of your time solving questions.

Every question you got wrong, note it down and write down the formula/trick that was used to solve it. You will end up with 5-10 pages reference. That what worked for me!

Did you first finish the videos first and then move on to the Practice problems or did you follow the study plan outlined in Magoosh(1 month/3 month etc)? I am following the Magoosh study plan but when I sit down to do practice problems there are lot of problems which crop up whose concepts have not yet been discussed. Any thoughts on how to overcome this ?

On 3/29/2020 at 12:09 PM, shreenathg said:

Did you first finish the videos first and then move on to the Practice problems or did you follow the study plan outlined in Magoosh(1 month/3 month etc)? I am following the Magoosh study plan but when I sit down to do practice problems there are lot of problems which crop up whose concepts have not yet been discussed. Any thoughts on how to overcome this ?

I didn't follow the guideline, I went on my own (fast) pace through the videos first with some notes on things I need to memorize and then spend the majority of the time solving practice problems and looking at video solutions when I got something wrong or sometimes to see if I their solution is faster etc.