Fall 2020 Application cycle

moushkey

Alright, I figured I'd kick us off - who's applying this cycle and where?

I'm undecided about whether I'll work the field or do a PhD afterwards, but I have an MA in Art History, so I'm applying to places that specifically have a strong emphasis on architecture or visual culture materials, have a thesis or MRP, and are in a city with strong cultural ties. 

My list, in order of interest, is:

1. Joint MI + MMST at U of T
2. Film + Photo preservation and collection management at Ryerson
3. Dual MAS/MLIS at UBC
4. McGill MiST - Project

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KeithR said:

I did! I like the 100% synchronous nature of the program, as well as the youth services and school media electives offered.

That's great! It'll be nice to have a friendly face to look for at orientation! I also really liked that the program is synchronous-- I think it will really benefit me based on my learning styles. And I've heard that the youth services electives are really good! I'm leaning more toward academic or special libraries, but I definitely want to take a youth services course.

1 hour ago, BuL said:

Nothing at all. Still "under review". What about you?

My application status changed yesterday from "under departmental/program review" to "under graduate school review." I'm hoping that's good, but I don't know for sure. Haven't heard anything else from them.

On 3/5/2020 at 12:59 PM, ErinD said:

My application status changed yesterday from "under departmental/program review" to "under graduate school review." I'm hoping that's good, but I don't know for sure. Haven't heard anything else from them.

My application changed to  under graduate school review last Wednesday and I have not heard anything.  I know that in some iSchool departments, they contact the applicant if they recommend the applicant to the graduate school. I have know clue if the MLIS program does.  That being said, I'm not sure why it would go to the graduate school unless a recommendation by the department was made? I'm definitely overthinking everything at this point!!

1 hour ago, DJL said:

My application changed to  under graduate school review last Wednesday and I have not heard anything.  I know that in some iSchool departments, they contact the applicant if they recommend the applicant to the graduate school. I have know clue if the MLIS program does.  That being said, I'm not sure why it would go to the graduate school unless a recommendation by the department was made? I'm definitely overthinking everything at this point!!

No, I'm in the exact same boat! I also had that thought, but I don't want to assume anything. I actually emailed them on Friday to ask whether the status change meant that a decision was forthcoming, but they didn't respond. This info from the grad school website implies that we won't hear anything until after the grad school review.

23 minutes ago, ErinD said:

No, I'm in the exact same boat! I also had that thought, but I don't want to assume anything. I actually emailed them on Friday to ask whether the status change meant that a decision was forthcoming, but they didn't respond. This info from the grad school website implies that we won't hear anything until after the grad school review.

Ugh! I'm checking my email/portal nonstop just in case anything updates (going crazy!!) Did you email the graduate school or the MLIS Program?

16 hours ago, DJL said:

Ugh! I'm checking my email/portal nonstop just in case anything updates (going crazy!!) Did you email the graduate school or the MLIS Program?

The MLIS program. I was hoping that if they didn't respond, it would be because they were about to send out decisions...ugh!