Are Backup Applications Needed?

I'm applying to eight different Universities for their MSW (or equivalent) programs.

WashU
UPenn
U of Washington Seattle
U of Chicago
Chapel Hill
Case Western
and two programs in Europe

All of them are pretty competitive. I got my BS in Kinesiology in 2008 and my GPA was about a 3.07, though my last year I got about a 3.9 and was on the dean's list. Plus, after graduation I went to a community college and took some courses in Spanish and for an EKG certification and received a 4.0 in those 12 units. I will be sending in both transcripts. I haven't worked in the Social Work field persay but I have worked in the medical industry for about four years and have worked as a youth group leader for about four or five years as well.

I want to work with and help at risk youth and possibly young adults through the context of a school social worker position or through a non profit that supports them. 

When applying, are you applying to one or two backup schools in case you don't get accepted into the more competitive programs? If so what are these schools?

Lastly, I've read a few times on this site about not needing to go to one of the more prestigious universities as it's not worth it in the MSW programs and it's best to get a degree from a cheaper university where I can still obtain a license from.  Please explain further as I feel like most of us are still applying to the more expensive schools. Which cheaper schools are actually worth taking the MSW to get a license?

I start at West Virginia University this month. Way more affordable and an excellent school, highets research rating as well.

That was the only program i applied to. I mean, it is probably wise to have backup schools but i think 8 is beyond plenty. 

Talk about your relevent work/volunteer time. That is always imperative w MSW programs, but especially so for someone coming from an entirely different profession.

Boise State is also very affordable and a great program.

University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is a great school and by far the most affordable school in Chicago. While I love my school, sometimes I think about how much less debt I would be in if I had gone to UIC and I know some incredible clinical social workers who have come out if that program!