pax et caritas

I’m a recent graduate who doubled in philosophy & political science, and I’m going to be applying to grad school this fall. I know “political theory” and “political philosophy” are sometimes used interchangeably, but it looks like they’re considered separate programs at some universities. I’m trying to figure out which one I would be better suited for. 

As far as I understand it, political theorists tend deal with more empirical data and political philosophers have a more generalized and normative approach and often, as the name suggests, do more philosophy. But is that the extent of the differences?

Is there anything else I should know when making my decision, like differences in the job market or competitiveness of admissions?

My understanding is that the jobs in polisci are for the quants, not the theorists. Theorists and philosophers are in the same tiny, quasi non-existent job boat.

Political philosophers can occasionally find employment in polisci departments (often but not always as theorists). Theorists are almost never hired into philosophy departments.