How to go back to school?

Gabbydummy

Hello everyone, I would appreciate any comments, experience on how to go back to school with a really low gpa. I got my bachelors degree in kinesiology but now I don't find a way to pursue my dreams. I don't know how I got to this moment, that I didn't work enough for what I wanted. I know that I want to go back to school to improve myself but honestly I'm not smart to do hard courses like biology. Any tips to find myself in the right pathway? My dream has been always to become a doctor but I know that's not possible anymore due to my grades. Is there any chances I could go back to school to do something related to that? 

On 8/20/2019 at 6:32 AM, cephalexin said:

How low is really low? You may want to apply for Masters programs as a start. It would give you an opportunity to boost your GPA.  Do you have a job? A letter of rec from a boss that shows you are a good worker may help.

My GPA is 2.5 so I'm afraid I'm not eligible to apply for a master's program.

I have a job but they are not allowed to write a letter of rec.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:06 AM, Gabbydummy said:

Hello everyone, I would appreciate any comments, experience on how to go back to school with a really low gpa. I got my bachelors degree in kinesiology but now I don't find a way to pursue my dreams. I don't know how I got to this moment, that I didn't work enough for what I wanted. I know that I want to go back to school to improve myself but honestly I'm not smart to do hard courses like biology. Any tips to find myself in the right pathway? My dream has been always to become a doctor but I know that's not possible anymore due to my grades. Is there any chances I could go back to school to do something related to that? 

I finished an MS in Kinesiology in 2018. Are there certain schools you are looking at? What is your end goal? Would an MS or PhD help with that? Many kinesiology graduates do well with a BSc and outside certifications, depending on what you want to do. 

Edited by TwirlingBlades

So is your goal to "go back to school", or to "improve yourself, preferably through/while earning a degree"? If you're actually just looking to gain new knowledge, online courses or shorter certification programs may be more viable options. Enrolling in (non-selective) courses first may be a way to demonstrate your passion for your goal and also help you gain some connections/a rec letter from someone reputable enough to offset the low GPA. Alternatively, doing very well at the GRE or similar exams may also help offset that.

Also, if you're not really sure how you didn't get the grades you wanted during college, I'd suggest you figure that out first. Was it time management? Study methods? A particular life event that prevented you from focusing? What kind of courses did you do well in and how were they different from the ones you failed? I think it's important to set some specific aspects for yourself to work on if you're serious about doing more school. It may not be true that biology is simply too hard for you - maybe try watch a few different YouTube videos or online courses on the same topic, and see what kind of explanations / demonstrations / structure of learning (or even tone of speaking) work best for you. 

Also, assuming you currently work in an industry related to what you ultimately want to do, you might want to ask more senior workers or clients you meet on your job how they got to where they are now and see what you can learn from them. I don't have specific advice to offer wrt kinesiology or medical school, but feel free to PM me if you want to chat more. Best of luck.