Creative Nonfiction MFA recs?

GernderKitten

Hi all,

I'm looking for MFA recs *specifically for creative nonfiction programs*, would love to hear any ideas!

Right now I'm thinking of applying to the Iowa NWP (which is scary af and obvs a long shot) and also to WashU, Columbia and Hunter College. Looking for more, here are my priorities:

-A program focusing mostly or solely on CNF (essay, memoir, hybrid, historical, travel, etc.'). I'm probably a memoir/personal essay person, but I feel I need a strong background in the genre.

-Academic grounding, in the sense that the program isn't only made of workshops/craft seminars

-Full-residency program, 2-3 years.

-Very preferably programs w/ full tuition + stipends for all or most students.

-Preferably Northeast coast, but I will definitely be willing to consider elsewhere if it's a good fit.

-Preferably medical insurance coverage; coverage of HRT for trans* ppl a big plus

-Openness to experimentation and non-English traditions of the essay

Obviously in no way am I going to get everything I possibly want, but any pointers in the right direction would be v/ appreciated :)

TIA!!

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GernderKitten said:

Just saw this - thank you!! When you say VCU you mean Virginia Commonwealth, right? I don't remember they had a nonfiction track, but maybe I missed it. I'll definitely take another look!

Good luck :)

I looked into it, and it seems that they only have the option to do CNF as a dual genre track, meaning you'd also work with either fiction or poetry. My bad, I just heard some good things about their CNF faculty and assumed they offered a concentration in it.