MSW with low GPA - what are my chances

allibanks450

Hi everyone!

I very much want to apply for my MSW for September 2020. I am from Toronto so I will be applying to most Ontario schools. I am also considering applying to schools in New York. My GPA from my undergrad is pretty low, it's a 2.8. I have work/volunteer experience. I was wondering what my chances are of getting in, and if I have a higher chance in New York? I read online that NYU is quite easy to get into, is this true? Does anyone have any suggestions where I should apply that would consider me with my low GPA? I am pretty open to anywhere at this point. I really really want to get my MSW. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers me :)

• 2 months later...

From my conversation with different schools (in the NY area), if you're GPA is low, you should take a paragraph of your statement to explain why. Also, try to build up your resume further, do some volunteer activities etc if you can and work really hard on your application essays as those are very heavily weighted. 

I attended a Columbia and NYU info session and I believe they said there is no strict GPA cutoff. That being said, I imagine you want to make other portions of your application stand out.