App From Scratch: Hustle for Dec. 2019 or wait till 2020?

blackstrap

Question

I've decided I want to apply to several English Ph.D. programs. I earned an MFA in Creative Writing about a decade ago, then left academia to teach AP Lit. Now, 10 years later, I've decided it's time to go back. Trouble is, I'm having to start from scratch, given the amount of time passed. I need to:

-retake the GRE

-coerce erstwhile profs to get to know me all over again and update/write letters of rec.

-write statement and critical sample from scratch

. . . plus the other stuff. So my question: Do I hunker down and get an app together for this December, or do I, despite how sad it makes me, slow down and give myself (possibly too much) time for December 2020. I'm hoping folks who've been in a similar situation can chime in on how they decided to go.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Do you know what your field of interest is? Do you know which schools you'd like to apply to? Do you have an understanding of the different strengths that some programs have? Are you prepared for a paycut? Do you understand how doctoral research differs from undergraduate research? What are you hoping to get out of a PHD program? Would you be okay if you can't achieve your goal post-PhD?

On 8/29/2019 at 7:49 PM, Warelin said:

Do you know what your field of interest is? Do you know which schools you'd like to apply to? Do you have an understanding of the different strengths that some programs have? Are you prepared for a paycut? Do you understand how doctoral research differs from undergraduate research? What are you hoping to get out of a PHD program? Would you be okay if you can't achieve your goal post-PhD?

I'd like to focus on 20th century existential lit and theory. I plan to apply to a few in the top 10, a few 10-20, then maybe a safety or two. I need to do more research on specific professors at specific schools, but am aware of the importance of attending a highly rated program in my field. I am okay with a pay cut. I did my MFA alongside the Ph.D. folks at the University of Utah, so I have some idea about doctoral research. I'm still researching the career options of the English Ph.D.

Edited by blackstrap

On 8/31/2019 at 1:05 PM, blackstrap said:

I'd like to focus on 20th century existential lit and theory. I plan to apply to a few in the top 10, a few 10-20, then maybe a safety or two. I need to do more research on specific professors at specific schools, but am aware of the importance of attending a highly rated program in my field. I am okay with a pay cut. I did my MFA alongside the Ph.D. folks at the University of Utah, so I have some idea about doctoral research. I'm still researching the career options of the English Ph.D.

I think it's important to realize that there are no safeties in English. There have been many applicants in the past who have been rejected from every school they applied to except Berkeley. There have been multiple people with perfect scores that have shut out from their season. There have also been people who have managed to get an acceptance at many schools they applied to despite not having great test scores. None of this was dependent on a school's ranking because ranking does not equal number of applicants nor does it signify strength in a specific area.

The ranking of a school is really only important if your end goal is to maximize your chances of doing research at a R1 School. Most jobs are not at R1 schools.

There are many jobs that would welcome the skills that can be obtained through an English PHD outside of academia, but a Ph.D. isn't required for the great majority of them.