FRQ 2020-2021

BTF

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out if I can apply for the FRQSC scholarship. I live in Quebec but have never gone to school here and am attending a university in Ottawa. Any insight would be great, I cannot find anything on FRQs website.

A lot of people I know who are living in Quebec but studying in Ontario apply to both OGS and FRQ. There is nothing that doesn't allow you to combine both. It's a loophole, there seems to be no clear barrier to doing this I have been told multiple times. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

9 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I also think it depends for how long you've been living in Quebec...I would check the eligibility criteria just to be sure if I were you. 

It seems that I need either a valid RAMQ card or proof of having one on the way.

I also have to be living in Quebec a minimum of 6 months prior to the results of the award being made. 

On 9/6/2019 at 8:34 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

A lot of people I know who are living in Quebec but studying in Ontario apply to both OGS and FRQ. There is nothing that doesn't allow you to combine both. It's a loophole, there seems to be no clear barrier to doing this I have been told multiple times. 

Are you sure? When I had an FRQSC fellowship, the award-holder's guide explicitly said that I could not also hold another, similar award at the same time. So, e.g., you can't have both SSHRC and the FRQSC simultaneously. You can apply for, but not hold, both. Unless things have changed since then, I believe the same restrictions would apply against simultaneously holding an OGS.

As for the original question: as long as you're still a Québec resident, you can apply; IIRC they also recently relaxed the application criteria so that people who aren't Québec residents but who are planning to study in Québec can also apply (although Canadian citizenship or permanent residency is required).

Edited by maxhgns

Yes, that's what I have been told by multiple people, that if you are from Quebec and study in Ontario, you can combine FRQ with OGS (I am not talking about SSHRC here.). But I would check if the rules have changed, but as far I as know, they were no rules about this so that's why many people did that.

Edited by Adelaide9216

• 5 weeks later...