one year diploma degree then Mdiv at Yale, Duke or Princeton

Mikas@

Hello all! I am planning on pursuing a theological education at a graduate level. I wish I could get into some top divinity schools so that I could pursue a Phd degree later on. Would it be a good idea to attend a one year diploma degree at a Canadian seminary ( such as Regent or Wycliffe College)  first to improve my chances in getting into a top Mdiv program? 

If you're interested in getting an M. Div (as opposed to an MA/MTS/MAR) and have completed an undergraduate degree with reasonably decent grades you may not  need the diploma at all. M. Div programs, even at otherwise selective institutions, tend not to demand a rigerous background in the field. Instead, they focus more on a variety of subjective features that will be reflected in your SOP and, possibly, your discussions with faculty before or during the application process.

Could you go a little more into why you want the one-year diploma, and what your undergraduate background was like?

Just apply straight for the MDiv programs, they have high acceptance rates. Unless you have very poor grades, there's no real reason to do a PG.Dip. If you're worried about having a foundation, a significant number of your classmates won't have any religious studies/theology background either and from my experience, many of them were better students for it.

On 9/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, Pierre de Olivi said:

If you're interested in getting an M. Div (as opposed to an MA/MTS/MAR) and have completed an undergraduate degree with reasonably decent grades you may not  need the diploma at all. M. Div programs, even at otherwise selective institutions, tend not to demand a rigerous background in the field. Instead, they focus more on a variety of subjective features that will be reflected in your SOP and, possibly, your discussions with faculty before or during the application process.

Could you go a little more into why you want the one-year diploma, and what your undergraduate background was like?

Hi, thank you for you comments. I had a bachelor degree in English literature and didn't really have a competitive GPA. I kinda want to have some experience studying at different seminaries across denominations and countries. More importantly, my church has a conservative evangelical background. My pastor and elders won't agree to write me a pastoral reference if I apply to  mainline seminaries, which they consider those schools as liberal... So I figure that I can apply for Yale, Duke, or Princeton after I had a diploma degree from an evangelical seminary. 

On 9/10/2019 at 12:51 AM, xypathos said:

Just apply straight for the MDiv programs, they have high acceptance rates. Unless you have very poor grades, there's no real reason to do a PG.Dip. If you're worried about having a foundation, a significant number of your classmates won't have any religious studies/theology background either and from my experience, many of them were better students for it.

Hi Xypathos, thank you for your advise. I didn't have a very competitive GPA. My church requires me to attend an evangelical seminary but I hope I could eventually get my master from a mainline seminary like Yale.  As a result, a one year diploma degree could be a "stepping stone" in my opinion.