Low GRE success stories? Do these exist?

meteorite

Did anyone get accepted to a geo or planetary science PhD with a less-than-ideal GRE score? If so, what was your score and what school? 

I'm also curious:
Does having a masters degree before applying to PhD affect how heavily GRE is weighted?
Could a near-perfect GPA offset having a lower GRE?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

No I had very low scores had didn’t get in anywhere despite having a 3.8 GPA from a highly accredited geology program. I now work in a completely different career field, and it’s all thanks to the GRE. I’m sorry, I’m very bitter about it.

• 3 weeks later...

My comment is less relevant to you as I am only applying to master's programs but I got a 149/153 on my verbal and quantitative and a 4.5 on writing. I decided to give it a shot at applying to grad school a little late so I only had one chance at the GRE and not much time to prepare. It was depressing when I received my scores but I still somehow got into my top choice, UNC - Chapel Hill. Frankly, I wouldn't say my GPA was very impressive either. But like Megalodon said above, a strong relationship with my potential advisor was really what got me there. I've learned that it really depends on school and faculty member whether or not the GRE is heavily weighted. My potential advisor bluntly stated to me that he didn't understand how the GRE helps schools evaluate a student.