Leaving a PhD and reapplying?

S-Kyo

I am doing PhD in political science in a public school ranks of #70-80 in the US. I  received a news from the professor who works in best choice university (#40-50) that they may likely accept me if I apply again.

My current advisor is the one of the best and well known person who works in my research area. I still do not know how to explain that I will reapply again. While I want to leave the program, I still want her to be in my dissertation committee. I am worried about her reaction when I tell her that I will re-apply for my best choice again. (She knows X university was my best choice). What do you think that I should do? How should I explain that I want to apply for another university? What is good way of doing that?

My current program’s low placement, low stipend, and not enough methodological training made me to reapply again this year. As everyone does, I am worried about finding job in the US after PhD.

I am an international student. I speak two languages other then English. My GRE scores are low and I am not going to retake the exam. (I hate GRE). Meanwhile, I am planning to apply for several other schools ranks #15-25. I already had MA in another country before starting the PhD. I have improved my skills in several statistical programs, took several quantitative courses. Presented papers in conferences in two years. Despite a low GRE, would these improvements and developments in my career affect departments decisions in a university #15-25?

What should I do? should I reapply for a program that ranks much better and also fits my research interests or stay in my current program to work with my current well known advisor?

To be honest this is really a tough situation and I am not in a position to offer you advice on scenario like this. But I would have a rather honest conversation with your advisor and express your concern about the placement record and methods training while suggesting that you are still very much willing to work with her in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

@S-Kyo I am in the same boat and planning to reapply. My concerns are the same, underfunded, low-placement and low prospects of a job at a R1 university. DM me, it always better to join forces and find a way out.

Hi. I am first-year grad student at a #15-25 department. I think we've got a few things in common, since I am not American either, and I have a bachelor's and a master's degree from another country (Brazil).

I cannot say whether you should reapply or not. There is an obvious trade-off in terms of time and better placement opportunities, and only you can decide. However, we can talk about your concerns in case you do decide to reapply.

From my interview with the DGS, I can say without doubt that presenting a good fit with the department, both in terms of research interests and previous work, counted a lot towards being accepted. So you have that going for you. On the other hand, I have talked to a few students from later cohort that have assisted or accompanied the application committees during the process,, and they said that committees do eliminate applicants that fall below a certain score threshold in their GREs. So I think it would be wise to take the GRE again. You'll likely do much better now than you did before simply because your mathematical thinking and your English skills should be much improved by now compared to when you first took the GRE.

For your reference, I got in with a 169/160/4.5 score.