Philosophy Admissions 2020 Spreadsheet (Now with deadlines, requirements, fee waiver info, etc. for PhD/MA Programs)

MtnDuck

For the last two years I've used the spreadsheet to track acceptances, waitlists, and rejections after folks applied. This year I want it to be useful as folks apply rather than after all the applications are in.

Here's the new spreadsheet: Philosophy Admissions 2020 Spreadsheet 

It has a list of schools (100ish PhDs and 30ish MAs) along with their respective deadlines, application fees (and fee waiver information), transcript type required (official/unofficial), GREs (yes/no/sometimes), and other info. You can also sort it by using a personal filter to look at only the schools you care about.

If folks want to share the spreadsheet, feel free to do so using bit.ly/PhilAdm (this is so I can see how many folks access it but I just see a #).

-L

Edited by MtnDuck

This is excellent. Great job. I made basically the same thing for the 18 schools I applied to.

Other things I included were:

• Writing sample requirements (or restrictions)
  • Personal statement requirements (or restrictions)
  • CV or resume required (distinct from the application)
  • Basic funding package (full, partial tuition remission; full, partial, or no student fees; etc.)
  • Acceptance rate (expressed as a percentage of applicants, and as a matter of cohort size)

I realize these are not all important to everyone, but it'd be good to have some of these.

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 6:16 PM, GMB said:

Some of these dates may be incorrect! For example, the spreadsheet says the deadline for Rice is Jan 15, but click the link and the deadline is DEC. 15.

If you see any other errors feel free to make a comment on the spreadsheet!

Unfortunately since things are crowdsourced errors can slip through ? I did an audit in late November and thought I double checked the deadlines, but I must have missed that one. I'll do another audit for the remaining schools today to see if any other errors didn't get fixed!

Update: found one error (Feb 2 instead of Feb 1 for one school) and everything else looked on accurate for the PhD program list.

Edited by MtnDuck

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen elsewhere that there's another spreadsheet tracking the dates that programs historically got back to candidates. Is there a way to merge that sheet with yours? Would be really useful as another sheet on your invaluable document.

On 1/7/2020 at 3:08 PM, syn said:

I've seen elsewhere that there's another spreadsheet tracking the dates that programs historically got back to candidates. Is there a way to merge that sheet with yours? Would be really useful as another sheet on your invaluable document.

Any chance you remember where that other spreadsheet is? I'd love to see it, as would many others.

11 minutes ago, deep_field said:

Any chance you remember where that other spreadsheet is? I'd love to see it, as would many others.

I don't have the spreadsheet, but it's easy enough to go the the results page for philosophy, and search for the school in which you're interested. Typically people do not wait very long to post their results, lol.

2 hours ago, deep_field said:

I saw someone post a line of historical response dates in the FB group. I might reach out directly. 

I did do what was suggested (search on the results page), but that’s easy enough for me since I’m applying to so few schools. For many of you who applied to 10, 20, even 30, that’s a significant amount of time and would be helped by such a spreadsheet. 

Edited by syn

I commented on the FB page, but I'll be linking the sheet I've been used by the end of the week. The sheet folks have in mind is https://philosophyadmissions.wordpress.com/.

Interview invitations just came out for Irvine (LPS) so I want to get predictions up soon for everything else.

(I haven't been checking this as often, apologies for missing the questions)

Edited by MtnDuck

• 5 weeks later...

Back on track and finally updated.

On Sunday 2/9- Monday 2/10 the spreadsheet suffered an outage. It has been returned to working order and (finally) I've gone through and updated a ton of things based on comments and messages I got last week. Thanks for your patience (I'll be update it once a day now that I have qualification paper things figured out)

L