Fall 2020 Statistics PhD Application Evaluation

curtishill

Hey everyone,

I will be applying to Statistics PhD programs for fall of 2020. I am mostly interested in probability theory and general statistical theory.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Undergraduate: Small public university. Relatively small math department.

Major: Mathematics

GPA: 4.0

Type of Student: White Male

Relevant Courses: Calculus I, II, and III, Ordinary Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Modern Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, Advanced Calculus I (Real analysis), Numerical Analysis I, Financial Mathematics, Life Contingencies, Intro to Statistical Methods, Applied Reg/Time Series, Nonparametric statistics, Statistical Process Control, Mathematical Statistics I and II, Foundations of Computer Science, Fundamentals of Programming, Object Oriented Programming, Intro to Algorithms and Data Structures

(A's in all courses)

GRE General Test:

Q: 168

V: 160

W: (waiting on score)

Research Experience: Statistical consultant on a medical paper currently in peer review, not expected to be officially published before application. Additionally, I worked with a professor in mathematical research. I was primarily in charge of the computer programming to simulate our enumeration problem; research stopped due to professors family crisis.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Valedictorian of the College of Science, Outstanding Math Student Award, Dean's list each semester.

Letters of Recommendation: Professor (Department Chair) I worked with closely as a TA and took courses from, Professor I took classes from, Assistant Professor I took classes from.

Additional Experience: Experience working in R, SQL, Python, C++, C#, and LaTex. I have taken three actuary exams and pass all three. I have a year's experience working as an actuary. A few internships during the summers of my undergraduate career in Cyber and Actuarial Science. I have ample experience in math and statistics TAing and tutoring.

Applying to:

Texas A&M,

Colorado State University,

University of Iowa,

UC Davis,

Virginia Tech,

(Other schools suggested?)

Comments/Questions: I'm curious to know if I'm aiming for the right caliber of schools. I am concerned about not having published, how will this effect my application?

With a 4.0, tons of math classes and a 168Q GRE score, you should aim higher than the programs that you listed. Stanford/Chicago/CMU/etc are reaches for everyone and your chances probably depend somewhat on the reputation of your current university, but I don't think it would be a waste to apply. You should have a really solid chance at places like NC State, TAMU, Iowa State, etc.

Generally, the best schools for probability theory are also the top few programs, like Stanford, Chicago, etc. But you should also consider UNC and Michigan State. Those departments are both known for strength in that area.

As for your question, basically no one going into a PhD in statistics has published. Some people will not have any research experience at all. You're fine.

I think that list is a good start. I'd add some higher programs, too, especially big state schools like NC/Iowa State/PSU. I think schools like Stanford are not very likely if you go to an unknown university, but you could apply to some schools like Michigan/Duke/CMU on the high end.  I suppose it does depend on exactly what school you've gone too.  I've known 4.0 students from unknown schools who struggled in first semester Casella/Berger, so a top program will probably have similar reservations that I do when they can't really evaluate your ability. 

Just to clarify on my post, I also think it’s really unlikely that you’ll get into places like Stanford. I think it’s unlikely you’ll get into places like Duke/CMU. I had similar stats to yours but from a very well known university and was rejected by those schools.

What I meant is that given your profile, I don’t think it’s completely impossible for you to get accepted. It really just depends on how much money you’re willing to spend on applications. Is it worth $100 for you to have like a 15% chance of being admitted to CMU or a 1% chance at Stanford? For me, I thought it was. I’m only applying to PhD programs once and I wanted to give it my best shot.