Sign in to follow this  
aam9

Could I be accepted for PhD with just my BA?

Hi just wondering if anyone wants to give a generalized honest opinion, am I wasting my money applying to PhD programs in Media Studies when I only have my BA? I know you need to know a lot more about me and to read my writing to actually answer that with full confidence but I'm wondering if there is sort of a general rule that almost all PhD admits already have their Masters or have spent significant time working in the field. I'm sure a masters helps one's chances but is someone getting into media studies (rtf/cultural studies type) PhD programs without it an exception or just a slight minority? 

My professors have made it clear that it would be better were I accepted into PhD programs for money reasons, but even the ones who most intimately know my work haven't given a clear indication of if that's possible. Reading the websites of programs I'm interested many current students seem to have acquired their Masters from other schools or in other disciplines so I feel my chances dwindling. I have good numbers and some good writing but I've never published or officially presented. 

Edited by aam9
add tags

Of course! I was accepted straight out of undergrad to multiple programs and at every visit I went to there were others invited who also were either straight out of undergrad, or only had a bachelor's. I am social science focused, but another in my cohort has only a BA and is more humanities focused. I think the most important factor on top of grades and gre is your research experience and your research interest fit. Choose carefully. Good luck!