Topics and SoPs

BabyFarmer

Hello!

I'm in the process of getting all my spreadsheets in order before app season really begins, and I'm trying to figure out an idea of my dissertation for inclusion in SoPs and when I'm emailing faculty members. I'm currently torn between two very different areas within bioethics/applied ethics and I'm not sure how to narrow things down. Does anyone have advice? I can find faculty with an appropriate interest at most schools I'm looking at. 

Advice is: don't feel like you have to narrow down too soon. So you have two interest areas. Two is good, and three is sometimes recommended in SoP's by some people.

By the time a dissertation starts you might not be interested in any of them.

Also, if you show up with a dissertation ready to go, some faculty will perceive you as declaring that you do not intend to explore and evolve throughout the program.

1 hour ago, Olórin said:

Advice is: don't feel like you have to narrow down too soon. So you have two interest areas. Two is good, and three is sometimes recommended in SoP's by some people.

Chime. There's nothing wrong with having two areas of interest, especially when they're pretty closely aligned, as these are. You can emphasize bioethics for programs especially strong in bioethics, and applied ethics at applied ethics programs, but there's no need to narrow it further. Instead, I think you'd be better off having a think about what each program can offer you beyond these areas of specialization, so that you can make a strong case for your fit into that program.

I was advised to use language in the SoP like "I want to explore x further" and "I could envision pursuing a long-term research project on y" rather than saying I knew I wanted to work on anything in particular. To my knowledge, American programs don't want you to come in with a dissertation idea worked out. As others have noted, your interests might change in ways big or small. 

And to address your point about professors, just expressing interest about their work or their niche should be sufficient. (But note that opinions do differ re: emailing faculty members before being accepted; I'm not sure what the consensus is, but seems like it doesn't help one's chances much in most cases unless one has really important stuff to say. But I invite others to correct me if I'm mistaken.)

Edited by Marcus_Aurelius

16 hours ago, Marcus_Aurelius said:

I was advised to use language in the SoP like "I want to explore x further" and "I could envision pursuing a long-term research project on y" rather than saying I knew I wanted to work on anything in particular. To my knowledge, American programs don't want you to come in with a dissertation idea worked out. As others have noted, your interests might change in ways big or small. 

And to address your point about professors, just expressing interest about their work or their niche should be sufficient. (But note that opinions do differ re: emailing faculty members before being accepted; I'm not sure what the consensus is, but seems like it doesn't help one's chances much in most cases unless one has really important stuff to say. But I invite others to correct me if I'm mistaken.)

Thank you so much for the advice! I feel like I've heard that it's in your best interest to email potential supervisors which is why I'm considering doing it.