How do recommendation letter writer's submit their references?

Hello all, important question.

I have three letter writers for my recommendation letters this cycle, English PhD programs with deadlines this December, and I want to know what the process is like for them to submit the letters?

How do they submit them, and how much time does it take for them to do so? Do you send them a URL from a program's online application, and they upload the letter online?

I am wondering about this because, if I apply to 10-15 programs, I don't want it to be too much to ask for them to submit a letter to each program. Can somebody give me specifics on this process, based on when you yourself was going through the application cycle? Is it dumb to limit applications in order to appease a letter writer, or is it a quick process?

Thank you.

Programs will send an email to your letter writers with a link for them to upload the document once you input their contact information in the reference section of the application. This process can be done ahead of time, if you want to give your writers  plenty of time to upload the documents. Some programs will only send letter requests after you submit your application. 

I wouldn't limit your applications. One of my letter writers mentioned how unreasonable the process has become for faculty, but that's just the way it is these days. You can make it easier for them to keep track of the uploads by sending them a document with each institution name and deadline. 

A few tips: you will receive emails once letters are submitted, and you can look at each program portal to see which letters are still missing. It's helpful for your sanity to keep track of this information in a separate document. Also, give your letter writers plenty of notice--at least a few weeks. Some of them are writing multiple letters each cycle in addition to their already packed schedule. Occasional reminders may be necessary to get all of your letters on time, and I've read that there's an unspoken grace period for late letters for many (most?) programs. I tried to submit all of my applications about a week before the deadline, with many of my letter requests sent well in advance of this. Finally, ask if there's any way to make the process easier for them. 

14 hours ago, snorkles said:

Programs will send an email to your letter writers with a link for them to upload the document once you input their contact information in the reference section of the application. This process can be done ahead of time, if you want to give your writers  plenty of time to upload the documents. Some programs will only send letter requests after you submit your application. 

I wouldn't limit your applications. One of my letter writers mentioned how unreasonable the process has become for faculty, but that's just the way it is these days. You can make it easier for them to keep track of the uploads by sending them a document with each institution name and deadline. 

A few tips: you will receive emails once letters are submitted, and you can look at each program portal to see which letters are still missing. It's helpful for your sanity to keep track of this information in a separate document. Also, give your letter writers plenty of notice--at least a few weeks. Some of them are writing multiple letters each cycle in addition to their already packed schedule. Occasional reminders may be necessary to get all of your letters on time, and I've read that there's an unspoken grace period for late letters for many (most?) programs. I tried to submit all of my applications about a week before the deadline, with many of my letter requests sent well in advance of this. Finally, ask if there's any way to make the process easier for them. 

Thank for for this. It sounds like it should not be too much to ask of them, so long as I give them sufficient time and organize it the best I can.

On 10/5/2019 at 7:30 PM, snorkles said:

Follow-up question I've been worrying over: how soon is TOO soon to enter in our letter writer info and thus send them the automated email? I'm trying to strike a balance between being proactive and starting things early and not breathing down my writers' throats. Plus, I'm worried that if the emails get sent now in October (for all of my December deadlines), they'll get buried in their inboxes... Advice on this? 

2 hours ago, PercivalV said:

Follow-up question I've been worrying over: how soon is TOO soon to enter in our letter writer info and thus send them the automated email? I'm trying to strike a balance between being proactive and starting things early and not breathing down my writers' throats. Plus, I'm worried that if the emails get sent now in October (for all of my December deadlines), they'll get buried in their inboxes... Advice on this? 

I don't think there really is a "too soon," provided that your letter writers are generally engaged and responsive.  My approach:  I emailed all my writers on October 1 and gave them a list of schools I'm applying to.  I told them I will have submitted every application by November 1.  I then listed deadlines for each school.  I said, "My goal is to give you the maximum amount of time to write and submit each letter; submitting each application by November 1 will give you at least a month to draft and submit a letter for each school."  Seriously, I did want to give them a ton of time both as a courtesy and so that they would have a longer time to think of synonyms for "genius" to use in their letters for me (ha).  (I'm personally not interested in submitting letter writer info and then walking away from the application; once I do that I might as well just attach my CV and WS and submit the while thing.)

I'm keeping track of the dates on which I enter each letter writer's info.  Around November 15, after I've submitted all my applications, I'll send each writer a simple checklist.  It'll just contain the name of each school, the date I submitted their name to each school (so they can cross-reference that date with the contents of their email inbox if they missed something), and the deadline for each application.

tl;dr:  I think you can assuage your concerns by keeping track of the dates on which you enter letter writers' info, then providing a checklist using those dates to your writers near the end of the application period.

6 hours ago, HenryJams said:

tl;dr:  I think you can assuage your concerns by keeping track of the dates on which you enter letter writers' info, then providing a checklist using those dates to your writers near the end of the application period.

This is so smart! I've already done much the same with sending my letter writers my list of schools (did this a few weeks ago) and their respective deadlines (as well as lots of supplemental info about me and a reminder of some of our highlights together). I aim to have everything submitted by November, as well. If not the 1st, at least by the 15th! No way I'm carrying all of this stress and anxiety through Thanksgiving... 

Great idea about how to organize the writers' checklist - so efficient. Totally stealing that. I wish you the best of luck with your applications :)  Onward!