Switching Schools

ForeverJung

I am a third year student in a Master's/PhD Program. I received my masters and have been published twice since applying when I did not have any publications. I am finding myself frustrated with my department and do not feel I have the support I would like to have in a graduate program. I have talked to it with my adviser and it has not improved. Since I am a bit more viable of a candidate, I am considering dropping from this school and re-applying to PhD programs as a student who already has their master's degree. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

2 hours ago, ForeverJung said:

I am a third year student in a Master's/PhD Program. I received my masters and have been published twice since applying when I did not have any publications. I am finding myself frustrated with my department and do not feel I have the support I would like to have in a graduate program. I have talked to it with my adviser and it has not improved. Since I am a bit more viable of a candidate, I am considering dropping from this school and re-applying to PhD programs as a student who already has their master's degree. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Be prepared to start all the way over; there was a grad student in the lab I worked for in undergrad who did this and she had to start over (despite having masters) as if she was brand new. She re-took coursework, practica, etc. And that's a rare case. YMMV; this is a hard, personal choice but you sound set on leaving. 

While it is up to you to decide what is best for you I don't think you should exit your current program until you have a clear plan.  If I were you I would first contact programs of interest and find out how many of my courses would transfer (if any) and confirm that the support you're not getting in your current program is available in the programs of interest.  It might also help to have a response prepared for the inevitable "why are you leaving your current program" and "how would you handle a less that ideal advisor situation in the future" questions.  Also have a back up plan in case the application season doesn't go as planned.  Would that be staying where you are, hitting the job market, etc?