When to ask department to switch from PhD to MA?

NatsumeHeidegger

Hi all,

I am currently in my first semester of my PhD program, and I am fairly certain that I do not want to complete the program, but want to take a master's degree and get a job. Now that I'm here, I enjoy academia well enough, but not enough to justify the risk, since it's so competitive. When is the appropriate time to notify my department about my decision? I want to wait a while to make sure I am certain this is what I want to do, but I don't want to wait too long, since the course requirements are different, and since it seems unethical to wait until I am close to the master's to tell them. I also am worried about letting them know right now since it's just my first semester, and I don't want to burn bridges by making it look like I just accepted to get a free MA. If I let them know at this time, is it likely that my funding for next year will be threatened, since PhD students get priority over MA students?

1 hour ago, NatsumeHeidegger said:

Hi all,

I am currently in my first semester of my PhD program, and I am fairly certain that I do not want to complete the program, but want to take a master's degree and get a job. Now that I'm here, I enjoy academia well enough, but not enough to justify the risk, since it's so competitive. When is the appropriate time to notify my department about my decision? I want to wait a while to make sure I am certain this is what I want to do, but I don't want to wait too long, since the course requirements are different, and since it seems unethical to wait until I am close to the master's to tell them. I also am worried about letting them know right now since it's just my first semester, and I don't want to burn bridges by making it look like I just accepted to get a free MA. If I let them know at this time, is it likely that my funding for next year will be threatened, since PhD students get priority over MA students?

The first semester of graduate school can be especially hard as it is difficult to sort out if the controversial elements are growing pains or chemistry or a bad fit. I recommend that you do what you can to embrace the here and now--because you could change your mind several times over the next few months. Regardless, if you have the ability to write a thesis or a report, select that option for your master's degree. (You will definitely want to understand the differences between the two options and if either is significantly more reputable than the other.) 

Working on the thesis will provide opportunities to develop closer relationships with professors on your committee. At least one of them will understand that your priorities have shifted and you will demonstrate "good faith" by busting hump on the thesis itself. Also, the thesis can serve as a writing sample when you are on the job market or if you decide to get your doctorate at another school. (Please do understand that if you "transfer," you will probably have to start from scratch at your new department--and that could include earning another master's. If this does happen, do not decline the second master's.)

16 hours ago, NatsumeHeidegger said:

Hi all,

It's not unusual to have some second thoughts about grad school. I think most grad students have some doubts from time to time. Wait at least until your first year is over if you can before you tell your department. Half a semester isn't long enough to sort out how you feel about what you're doing, nor to settle into a new town/department/etc.

It's also not unusual for students to change their minds and leave PhD programs with an MA, so don't feel like it's unethical or that you'll be burning bridges by doing so.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:26 PM, NatsumeHeidegger said:

When is the appropriate time to notify my department about my decision? I want to wait a while to make sure I am certain this is what I want to do, but I don't want to wait too long, since the course requirements are different, and since it seems unethical to wait until I am close to the master's to tell them.

It isn't unethical to wait. You are under no obligation. Suppose you decide to do the MA, and you change your mind in a year from now: would you really think it would be morally best for you to communicate a change of plans, twice? You can decide later. It is up to you. You are under no compulsion.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:26 PM, NatsumeHeidegger said:

I also am worried about letting them know right now since it's just my first semester, and I don't want to burn bridges by making it look like I just accepted to get a free MA. If I let them know at this time, is it likely that my funding for next year will be threatened, since PhD students get priority over MA students?

This is a good reason to not let them know.

Again, you are under no compulsion to remain in the program, whether a semester from now or 3 years from now. It seems that it is in your interest to do all the PhD things until you need to do the MA thesis (or whatever the unique requirements are). If this means doing things that PhDs are required to do that you just don't want to do (e.g., a course on teaching? writing seminar? logic exam? what?), is this just way too hard to do? Or is it just that not-interesting?

But you also might change your mind. After a year, you tend to grow a lot and get used to things, become more confident. You will probably be more confident about the job market (that it isn't going to work, or that you have a chance). You might grow to like the program. It is always awkward going in. Really it is.

But suppose you end up deciding you want the MA: I know it is hard to accept this, but you aren't pissing people off if you choose to get an MA. You didn't accept their initial offer just to get an MA; it just turned out that way that you only got an MA. Usually professors get this. They know your life isn't grad school.

As far as burning bridges - I don't know what you mean. Socially, if you leave a program, you're basically out, gone -- out of sight, out of mind. No one is offended, and few to no-one will care. You aren't burning any bridges. When you leave, usually there is a "bridge closed" sign. Nothing on fire. Just few or no one will cross. Unless you have made strong friendships, then in the grand scheme this MA program will feel like a short excursion in the trip, or a side story chapter in a book.

Edited by Duns Eith