Missing LOR from one experience?

hello! i am applying to phd programs and have requested my letters of recommendation (one from UG, one from my master's program, one from my current job, and one from the job i had for two years prior to this one). it's a long story, but unfortunately, i might not be able to secure a letter from the job i held for two years. i think this would be a glaring hole and would raise  a lot of questions, and i honestly am so devastated. is there a way to compensate for this? is it something i could address in my personal statement without sounding defensive?

i'm re-taking the GRE in the coming week and will see how i do in terms of improving my score. taken all together, i think my application is strong but i have a lot of doubts and i fear that missing this letter will put me out of the running entirely. i know application prep can make everyone feel that way, and i'm having trouble discerning how much of those beliefs are due to the current stress of this missing letter versus reality (can you tell i'm applying to clinical programs lol?). 

what do you y'all think? is one missing letter going to be a huge problem? if so, is there anything i can do about it?

1 hour ago, crossallmyfingers said:

hello! i am applying to phd programs and have requested my letters of recommendation (one from UG, one from my master's program, one from my current job, and one from the job i had for two years prior to this one). it's a long story, but unfortunately, i might not be able to secure a letter from the job i held for two years. i think this would be a glaring hole and would raise  a lot of questions, and i honestly am so devastated. is there a way to compensate for this? is it something i could address in my personal statement without sounding defensive?

i'm re-taking the GRE in the coming week and will see how i do in terms of improving my score. taken all together, i think my application is strong but i have a lot of doubts and i fear that missing this letter will put me out of the running entirely. i know application prep can make everyone feel that way, and i'm having trouble discerning how much of those beliefs are due to the current stress of this missing letter versus reality (can you tell i'm applying to clinical programs lol?). 

what do you y'all think? is one missing letter going to be a huge problem? if so, is there anything i can do about it?

@crossallmyfingers, depending upon the circumstances of the job before last and its policies on providing recommendations, your best option may be to write briefly in your SoP what you learned at that job and move on. This is to say that I recommend that you not write the history of what did not happen in your SoP. Discerning readers will understand that work relationships can be strained and that companies and employees often part ways under less than ideal terms.

Make the SOP about how your previous experiences inform your current choices and what you're going to do as a professional psychologist.

The big picture is that if your applications require three letters of recommendation and the letters submitted on your behalf reflect accurately your ability to do work as a doctoral student, you've done the best that you can.

I agree with Sigaba's suggestions. Also, when I was applying, I don't recall any programs requesting more than 3 letters, so I don't think it matters if you can't secure this 4th letter because it won't be needed. Also, the committee doesn't know that you couldn't secure a letter from a job previous to the one you have now. Most people focus on letters from previous faculty. Research and academic rigor are usually placed above any clinical experiences because the program will spend 4+ years teaching you how to be a clinician (and clinical experiences you get before a doctoral program aren't usually that similar to what you would be doing unless you have a masters level clinical license). They want to know if you can do the academic work.