Language Requirements

chelsea_soccer

As an undergraduate I passed 4 semesters of spanish with Bs, and I've noticed that pretty much every MA and PhD program I look at says it requires language proficiency in a second language. I am studying early american history so I don't really plan on using that second language at all. In fact, I don't think I remember very much of what i learned and I'm really nervous how well I'll perform if they ask me to prove that I can still read spanish. 

Essentially, I am wondering if the MA programs will take a look at my undergrad transcript and say "yep, 4 semesters of spanish. Good enough, check." or if I'll have to take some sort of exam upon arrival? I guess if the latter is the case then I'll have to rosetta stone and try to brush up. Please help! and feel free to expand beyond the scope of my question if you know what I should be asking rather than what I am. Thanks!

As an undergraduate I passed 4 semesters of spanish with Bs, and I've noticed that pretty much every MA and PhD program I look at says it requires language proficiency in a second language. I am studying early american history so I don't really plan on using that second language at all. In fact, I don't think I remember very much of what i learned and I'm really nervous how well I'll perform if they ask me to prove that I can still read spanish. 

Essentially, I am wondering if the MA programs will take a look at my undergrad transcript and say "yep, 4 semesters of spanish. Good enough, check." or if I'll have to take some sort of exam upon arrival? I guess if the latter is the case then I'll have to rosetta stone and try to brush up. Please help! and feel free to expand beyond the scope of my question if you know what I should be asking rather than what I am. Thanks!

Any early Americanists out there want to chime in on how lingually diverse early America was?

Any early Americanists out there want to chime in on how lingually diverse early America was?

:lol: hahahaha, OP, you haven't looked at the primary sources, haven't you?

Bottom line: The translation exam is really simple. They'll give you a short text that you should reasonably be able to complete within 2 hours with an aid of a dictionary. If you can read at lit level comfortably, don't worry about it! But I would start practicing by reading Spanish-language newspapers to increase your comprehension and getting your hands on history books in Spanish to get the feel for common verbs and vocabulary used in academic Spanish.

thanks for the help. Clearly nobody on this board is shy about continuing graduate student stereotypes. :)

I found a sample of what a language exam might look like and i was wondering if anybody can verify that theirs was around the same difficulty level? If so, I'm no longer worried. Thanks. 

http://www.indiana.edu/~best/examinations/spanish_placement.shtml

I am rubbish at languages, but no worry. Most grad schools have classes that are language for translation classes that are geared toward helping you improve or learn translation skills in whatever language you need. I am an americanist, but I am considering doing a 3rd language for atlantic history minor... it may nvever be helpful, but for americanists it's not necessary. Also some schools will let you opt out in exchange for a lit, sociology, poli sci., etc competancy (but kinda rare).

From what I understand, the reading/ translation test is pretty easy. Like you, I'm an Americanist who has had 4 semesters of French and 3 of Spanish, and that was enough of the DGS of where I am going (Virginia) tell me that if even though its been a few years, it shouldn't be a problem to pass the test at the MA level and probably the PhD level if I spend some time working at whichever of the two I am more comfortable in.

If you are really worried about it, think about maybe taking an intensive language course. Since I might be doing a little work in transational work with English and French history, I'm going to spend 6 weeks this summer in one of those "8 hour-a-day" langauge institutes. Essentially, you become fleuent enough to translate without trouble and you don't have to worry about it.

If I remember, the Harvard history department has its language exams available online. I remember looking at one when I was preparing my application for there, and it was literally translating a bit of de toqueville.

If you are really worried about it, think about maybe taking an intensive language course. Since I might be doing a little work in transational work with English and French history, I'm going to spend 6 weeks this summer in one of those "8 hour-a-day" langauge institutes. Essentially, you become fleuent enough to translate without trouble and you don't have to worry about it.

On this subject, has anyone found an intensive summer language program that starts in July?

I will be teaching until June 30th, but most programs seem to start late May to mid-June. I'm looking for French reading courses (with no background in French). I checked out Princeton, but that seems to be it...

On this subject, has anyone found an intensive summer language program that starts in July?

I will be teaching until June 30th, but most programs seem to start late May to mid-June. I'm looking for French reading courses (with no background in French). I checked out Princeton, but that seems to be it...

I know there is one operated by Pacific University in Oregon, but I'm not sure of the dates, but I know it starts later than mine. Sorry for the vagaries, but a friend of mine told me about it after I applied to the one here on the East coast I'm doing.

I'm not sure what kind of classes it offers, but the Alliance Francaise in DC - http://www.francedc.org/en/- offers French classes on a regular basis. It looks like the next set of classes ends June 28, so they may have some beginning in July. You could call them to find out, and even if they don't have the right classes maybe they can recommend other places that do? Also the USDA offers languages classes, but I'm not sure how intensive they are.

Most of the summer language programs I have come across begin in mid-June and end in mid-August, to accommodate the average university student who has these months off. Since my college uses a very different academic calendar, I had a lot of trouble trying to find something that fit with my own summer schedule. If you can afford it, I'd suggest looking at some European programs. At least in the UK, the summers are longer as there are fewer breaks during the year, so the few language programs I did find tended to be later, or were only a week or two in duration. Also, the UK programs tended to be cheaper, despite the exchange rate, so if you find a suitable program it could offset the travel costs.

If you're trying to brush up your skills in a language you already have some experience speaking, perhaps you could consider spending a month or two doing volunteer work either at a local community center (if, say, Spanish is your foreign language of choice) or with an international program like WWOOF. Since the latter choice only requires you to pay for transportation, it could actually work out to be cheaper than taking an intensive course.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any success using programs like Rosetta Stone? Do they require huge amounts of time, equivalent to formal language classes? My understanding is that they teach you how to speak the language, and aren't specifically directed towards the reading comprehension expectations set by PhD programs. Still, if I am going to bother learning a language (or several), I wouldn't mind learning how to speak a little as well as read. Since I'm looking at having to learn 3 languages in the next few years, I'm wondering if Rosetta Stone would be a worthwhile investment for at least one of them. Thoughts?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any success using programs like Rosetta Stone? Do they require huge amounts of time, equivalent to formal language classes? My understanding is that they teach you how to speak the language, and aren't specifically directed towards the reading comprehension expectations set by PhD programs. Still, if I am going to bother learning a language (or several), I wouldn't mind learning how to speak a little as well as read. Since I'm looking at having to learn 3 languages in the next few years, I'm wondering if Rosetta Stone would be a worthwhile investment for at least one of them. Thoughts?

My understanding about the Rosetta stone is that it acts as a great compliment to a language course, but on its own merits isn't nearly as powerful as one. I've stolen my buddy's copy for french and, a few lessons in, it seems to do well with vocabulary but not as well with syntax (I was told that it is a good idea to go out and buy/borrow a grammar book from the library before you start). It is true, though, that both the military and the State Department use the programs, so there are obviously some high ranking bureaucrats out there who approve of the program - in fact, I know that the military has their own unique version of Arabic that has more of a military emphasis and contains vocabulary not in the civilian version.

Really the biggest thing against the Rosetta Stone is the cost. Like I said, I am borrowing my copy, but my pal had paid 500 bucks for all 5 "levels" of french; At 100 dollars a pop I suppose it isn't that bad of a deal, but still, we're all worthless humanities students here - what do we know about having that much money on hand?

Edited by Joe Lordan

First, regarding language software. A cheaper option than Rosetta Stone is Tell Me More. You can get ten levels for a few hundred dollars, and there are coupon codes online which can even take off another 10% or so if you are lucky. However, I would not recommend software at ALL for the specific task of preparing for a reading exam. It is a good adjunct learning strategy if you want to INCREASE your reading speed, vocabulary, etc., but not necessarily to begin from nothing.

For languages like Spanish or French, unless you are just awful with languages, you may be able to get by with a textbook alone. There are some great rapid reading texts out there, and I passed my French qualifying exam just by reading and practicing in one book, without having any coursework in French, ever.

The single best way to prepare for qualifying exams is to practice taking qualifying exams. Translation is a unique skill, and even if you can read a language, you have to learn how to pace yourself and produce a decent translation. That was my mistake with French; even though I did (barely) pass, I was reading the text quite well but really struggled to translate it.

Sort of off-topic, but how many languages would be necessary for a mid-19th c. Americanist? I have 4 semesters of German and took French for 4 years in High School, and am fairly proficient with both (near fluent in the former). Is a high school-level language plus German in college acceptable, or...?

Sort of off-topic, but how many languages would be necessary for a mid-19th c. Americanist? I have 4 semesters of German and took French for 4 years in High School, and am fairly proficient with both (near fluent in the former). Is a high school-level language plus German in college acceptable, or...?

Those will sufficient for admissions and language placement exams.