Unique Case - 16 year old Fall 2020 Biostatistics PhD Application Review

Hi everybody,

I'm currently a senior pursuing biostatistics PhD programs. Now, I'm in a unique situation. I am currently only sixteen years old, and will be by the time I graduate - 17 by Fall 2020. I am part of a program at a university that has allowed me to skip high school (no diploma) and obtain my bachelor's degree right away. I currently don't know whether I should be playing this to my advantage, or if it will be detrimental in my application.

Undergraduate Institution: Unranked small private institution

Majors: Mathematics, Biochemistry (double B.S.)

GPA: 3.97/4.0 (cumulative) 

Type of Student: Asian female

Programs Applying: Biostatistics PhD

Relevant Courses:

Math: 

• Linear Algebra (3 credits) (A)
  • Calculus I/II (A,A)
  • Multivariable Calculus I/II (A,A-)
  • Numerical Analysis (A-)
  • Discrete Mathematics (A)
  • Ordinary Differential Equations (A)
  • Real Analysis (A)
  • Statistics (A)
  • Physics I/II (A, A)

Biochemistry (relevant?):

• General Chemistry I/II (A, A)
  • General Biology I (A)
  • Organic Chemistry I/II (A, A-)
  • Biochemistry I/II (A, A)
  • Analytical Chemistry (A)
  • Cell Biology (A)
  • Microbiology (A)
  • Genetics (A)

GRE General: 170Q/168V/5.5W

Research Experience:

• Biochemistry senior thesis in immunology/biochemistry, presented at ASBMB conference and won award at school's Capstone
  • Mathematics senior thesis in CT scanning - radiology, implementing Python for numerical computations, current work in progress

Work Experience:

• Tutor for mathematics for one semester
  • TA for multivariable calculus I, Genetics, one semester each
  • Intern at Truway Bio in Suzhou, China for pharmaceutical-related research
  • Volunteer EMT in local community for 1 year

Letters of Recommendation:

• One from advisor for biochemistry thesis
  • One from head of math department, took half of my math classes with him, including real analysis
  • One from biology professor with whom I've taken many classes with and have a close relationship with
  • My recommendation letters should be quite strong, I come from a very small university where letters are often the strongest part of an application.

Schools I'm Applying to:

• JHU
  • Stanford
  • UCLA
  • UWashington
  • Yale
  • Harvard
  • UPenn
  • MSU
  • Vanderbilt
  • Columbia
  • UC Davis
  • UMichigan
  • Ohio State
  • Duke
  • UC Berkeley
  • UIllinois-Chicago

My main problems with my application at the moment are the fact that I don't have much of a computer science background, but I am trying to bridge that the best I can by implementing Python into my current thesis. In addition, I come from a very small unranked institution, so I don't know how much of a benefit my GPA provides to my application. Will my age be a good or a detrimental factor within my application? Finally, I've picked a list of schools with many high-ranked Ivies or competitive schools, with three main safeties (OSU, MSU, UIC). It is really difficult for me to judge the competitiveness of my application at the current moment, so I'm not sure if my safety schools are even "safe" for me. I am trying to make my statement of purpose as great as possible. Thanks for any advice.

I'm not sure your age will have much of an effect. I could see it helping people think you are a genius - I don't think it will have a negative effect because you've already proven very successful in college to have the maturity to do a PhD.  Either way, I wouldn't worry about it and you obviously can't change it.  I would personally just not even mention it.

Your incredibly high GRE score and consistent As help make up for the fact that you go to a less well-known school.

Are you a US citizen/Permanent resident?  If you were a domestic applicant, I'd say you are almost guaranteed to get into a top 6 program.  Admissions are harder for international students, but you should still have good results and you shouldn't need to apply to schools as low as UIC.

Your results might be a little more variable than a "standard-age" applicant with a similar record, but that variance won't necessarily only work against you (i.e., I could easily see you getting into some of the very best programs). Being able to excel in college at such a young age is incredibly impressive, and a strong marker of intellectual firepower. Many top researchers were "young" passing through various academic milestones. In biostatistics, for example, rock star Tianxi Cai at Harvard graduated from college at 17 and got her PhD at 21. 

Bottom line: I think your young age is far more likely to be viewed as an asset (indicating tremendous potential upside) than a liability.

Edited by cyberwulf

Hi, guys! Thanks for your responses so far. I'm feeling much more at ease than I have for this entire application cycle. I do have a couple of main concerns, in that I haven't taken many upper-level statistics courses (our school doesn't offer them), and I also don't have much of a CS backing. Are these large holes in my application, or is my current approach with pure math and biochemistry solid enough?

I am a U.S. citizen by the way, so I am feeling more confident for at least my safeties, and I suppose I'll just have to see how variable my results come out to be!

It would be nice to see a mathematical statistics sequence (Hogg, Tannis, or similar), but I that shouldn't be a dealbreaker. I actually have a 19 y.o. in statistics Ph.D. cohort and she didn't have a mathematical statistics sequence as her undergrad didn't offer it. In my opinion your math background is adequate, and a CS background is certainly not necessary. Being familiar in computer science is undoubtedly helpful (my own python and R experience has been tremendously helpful) but it will not be looked upon negatively. 

Kudos to you on taking the initiative and having the drive at such a young age. I wish you all the best in your application process and into the future.