Facebook grad school education information

downtownchick

Hey guys. I noticed people put something like “USC 11’” if you know which year you are graduating. But how do you do it if you are just attending without knowing which year you will be done? Is something like this acceptable?

[A Great School]

[PhD (currently attending)][Rocket Science]

Yeah I know I’m bordeline lame here but it’s a useful tool to keep in touch with people, especially other undergrad classmates who went to other grad schools in my field.

Hey guys. I noticed people put something like “USC 11’” if you know which year you are graduating. But how do you do it if you are just attending without knowing which year you will be done? Is something like this acceptable?

[A Great School]

[PhD (currently attending)][Rocket Science]

Yeah I know I’m bordeline lame here but it’s a useful tool to keep in touch with people, especially other undergrad classmates who went to other grad schools in my field.

You could just leave the date blank, that would let others know where you are going and what you are studying without saying a date.

I'm not sure if I leave the year blank, it looks like I have already completed it. :blink:

Why would you have Facebook friends who are so out of touch with your life that they wouldn't have the slightest clue whether you already have a PhD or not? And if they're that out of touch - as in you're never ever going to speak to them directly so they'd have no idea what's really going on with you and could only deduce it, albeit errantly, from your profile - does it really if they get it wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see anything wrong with someone trying not to misrepresent themselves to friends back in another country; former peers who may be future colleagues.

Sometimes I worry about settings and profile details on websites, too. :) They can be worth some thought. I would never want to chance someone thinking I hadn't been honest, or slacked off and didn't finish my degree within the appropriate time frame, etc. It's unlikely they'd notice, but just when you think it won't happen....

I hope you found a format you are comfortable with!

P.S.

I think this topic is cute! :P

Edited by Jae B.