“Strong background”, “great track record”, etc.

rosebutter

Hello all!

I’ve been in the process of emailing potential PIs for several weeks. Many have responded commenting on the strength of my research background/academic record, etc (I have been attaching my CV), even if they’re writing to tell me they don’t have space in their lab. I’m wondering if this is a generic response to be nice, or if it may bode well for my chances for admission?

I realize I am probably overthinking this, but most of the programs I’m applying to have fairly low admission rates and I fear that my application may not be strong enough. Should I take this as a sign of encouragement??

• 3 weeks later...

If it's coming from a person on the admission committee or otherwise with a considerable level of influence on admissions, that could be a good sign. The fact that they'd take the time to respond to your emails is already saying something.

On the other hand, I could also see some people using the term "having a great academic background" to imply "but relatively lacking in research experience (or some other relevant aspect)". I'd look for whether they tried to help you by pointing you to someone else (e.g. "I don't have space in my lab, but I have a collaborator whose most senior grad student is leaving soon.") or if they gave you any extra details about the program. Anything they wrote that could help you get into their school is a good sign that they did actually consider you quite highly.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like you're trying to read into this very deep. It's certainly possible people can give you a canned, generic response, even if your application is less than stellar. It would be different if they said some pre-written, vague response like "We review all parts of the application and encourage you to apply" that doesn't tell you anything and doesn't mean anything.

Unless there's some detail in the communication that you can pick up on in your communication that you find peculiar or out-of-the-ordinary (e.g., the professor asks about something you didn't provide, seems to avoid talking about something that you brought up, or ignores part of what you're saying, etc.,), I wouldn't think about it too much. You should pay close attention to what they're saying, though. Most professors don't really strike me as the type of people who would speak without careful, deliberate thought on what they're going to say, anyway. Just don't jump to conclusions on anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar situation back when I was searching for programs and found that it ultimately meant nothing.  One PI scheduled a phone call--I wouldn't call it an interview--where we chatted for about a half hour.  The call went really well and I was all but sure I was in... ...except right before we hung up he caught himself and said something to the effect of, "...well, it depends on the rest of the applications."  It turned out that he liked another application more in the end. 

I honestly do not believe that these responses are canned.  Anyone who responds to your emails very likely believes you may be a good fit for his or her lab and would encourage you to apply.  Keep in mind, however, they still also need to consider the rest of the pool.