Funding opportunities for International students in Canada

HAC

Hey everyone,

I am applying to a graduate program in Toronto and I am an international student. I know that to be considered a competitive applicant I should apply to outside funding. I have been having trouble finding funding which applies to someone in my situation as I am neither a resident nor citizen. I have also noticed that several applications are somewhat of catch 22s for international students as they want you to be enrolled or to have a student visa, yet most schools won’t admit an international student without some additional funding. Does anyone have any advice of where to look for funding? Or better yet, does anyone know of specific funds I might qualify for? 

Thank you all ?

Hey there,

So funding as an international is quite tricky. We don't qualify for most funding sources. 

We do qualify for OGS - but the application depends on the program, and it has to be in Ontario - so maybe for your Toronto school. May I ask which program?

We also qualify for some university specific scholarships/fellowships (if you have good GPA, GREs, research, etc.) - this is highly dependent on the university though. 

From what I hear, most internationals work as RAs and TAs and get funded through that since the visa allows for (some limited) work on campus in these capacities. 

Maybe someone else can chip in with something I've omitted. 

1 hour ago, SoundofSilence said:

Hey there,

So funding as an international is quite tricky. We don't qualify for most funding sources. 

We do qualify for OGS - but the application depends on the program, and it has to be in Ontario - so maybe for your Toronto school. May I ask which program?

We also qualify for some university specific scholarships/fellowships (if you have good GPA, GREs, research, etc.) - this is highly dependent on the university though. 

From what I hear, most internationals work as RAs and TAs and get funded through that since the visa allows for (some limited) work on campus in these capacities. 

Maybe someone else can chip in with something I've omitted. 

Thanks for all of the information. I am applying to the Social Psychology department at U of T. I might be mistaken, but from what I saw with the OGS in order to apply as an international applicant I need to input my student visa number. Do you know if I can apply before I have one? 

I asked someone at U of T if I could apply to merit-based scholarships based on my undergraduate GPA and she said the department considers students for these scholarships independently and apply Damon the behalf of the students. 

Do you know of any databases available that detail funding sources for Canadian institutions?  

I don't know much about the Social department. I do know that the Clinical one is not accepting internationals this year, that's why I asked. 

For OGS you should be able to apply through the department - check with the grad admin for more information. I think you need a student visa once they start distributing funds to you (which is in the fall). 

The department should consider you for scholarships and fellowships where you are eligible based on your application. So if they confirmed, you are fine.

Unfortunately, I do not have any databases or other resources for funding :( It really depends on location and university in particular.

Best of luck!

44 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

I don't know much about the Social department. I do know that the Clinical one is not accepting internationals this year, that's why I asked. 

For OGS you should be able to apply through the department - check with the grad admin for more information. I think you need a student visa once they start distributing funds to you (which is in the fall). 

The department should consider you for scholarships and fellowships where you are eligible based on your application. So if they confirmed, you are fine.

Unfortunately, I do not have any databases or other resources for funding :( It really depends on location and university in particular.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much!