Leaving 2nd Masters?

dolorita

In a bit of a dilemma. Would appreciate any advice.

I earned an MSW degree years ago and recently started a second MA in Clinical Psychology. My hope was that the MA Clinical Psychology would give me additional research experience and additional letters of recommendation to increase my chances of getting into PhD Clinical Psychology programs. But now that I'm in the program - I'm a little disheartened with the quality of the program. I'm not getting as much hands on experience or productivity as I hope for in the research labs I'm in. (The MA program is the money maker for the school and they allow a lot of students in; who I am also competing with for the research positions). I'm not getting as much financial aid as I was initially offered, and would be required to take out additional loans. The program and the city is really expensive.. On top of all of that, I realize, in hindsight, that there are doctoral programs that I could've still applied to (etc. PsyD, PhD Counseling Psychology,) and there are less expensive ways for me to gain research experience, that perhaps would be better quality. 

Undergrad GPA is 3.09; 3.79 - major (psychology); MSW GPA is 3.80. My GRE scores are low and old, so I'm already planning to take it again. Have mostly clinical experience. And less than a year of research experience. 

I'm getting ready for finals now but I'm considering taking a leave of absence after this semester. Would spend the next year or so working/volunteering a lab, saving up $, studying for GRE to apply to both PhD Clinical/Counseling and PsyD programs (William James, PGSP Stanford Consortium, and Baylor)  the next application season (Fall 2021). Thoughts? Do I have a chance at getting into a PsyD/PhD Clinical Psychology program without a Masters in Clinical Psychology?

This whole situation has been giving me so much anxiety for past few weeks as I'm trying to decide what to do.

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Edited by dolorita

Just a quick heads-up here: grad programs require that you mention on your application and send transcripts from all institutions attended. I even had a couple ask me directly on the application if I was ever dismissed from a program, on probation or whether I dropped it. 

I'm not saying don't leave the master's, just make sure you have a good sense of what you would say in this case and how it appears on your transcript from that institution.

Oh and I agree with other posters, you can definitely get into a PhD program without a master's but with relevant research experience. 

Best of luck!

Thinking along the same lines as SoundofSilence, and also not saying don't leave the program, but I wonder if it would be possible to drop down to part time (so it's cheaper) or would that kill your funding? How many credits do you need to finish the masters program? Maybe you could drop down to part time and then apply to PhD programs with the understanding that you would are interested in starting a PhD program and perhaps transferring some of the credits in, rather than finishing the masters before starting the PhD program.

That's not ideal, but was wondering if that might look better on applications than just dropping the program?

Plus, staying in the program gives you a chance to continue trying to get the research experience from the labs there, while being part time would give you more time to study for GRE and whatnot.

Thank you all for the advice. 

Hadn't thought of how I would explain it to other programs but good point. 

3 hours ago, PsyZei said:

Thinking along the same lines as SoundofSilence, and also not saying don't leave the program, but I wonder if it would be possible to drop down to part time (so it's cheaper) or would that kill your funding? How many credits do you need to finish the masters program? Maybe you could drop down to part time and then apply to PhD programs with the understanding that you would are interested in starting a PhD program and perhaps transferring some of the credits in, rather than finishing the masters before starting the PhD program.

That's not ideal, but was wondering if that might look better on applications than just dropping the program?

Plus, staying in the program gives you a chance to continue trying to get the research experience from the labs there, while being part time would give you more time to study for GRE and whatnot.

I just started the program and need 36 credits to finish the master's - would have 9 credits after this semester. If I became part-time, I'd loose my funding but the school has some online classes I've thinking about enrolling in a few, moving back to my home state, and working in research lab. This way I could save money, still be considered "in" the program and would perhaps look better on applications? (completing a year of the program, rather than just 1 semester). But not sure if this could work...

Edited by dolorita

9 hours ago, dolorita said:

Thank you all for the advice. 

Hadn't thought of how I would explain it to other programs but good point. 

I just started the program and need 36 credits to finish the master's - would have 9 credits after this semester. If I became part-time, I'd loose my funding but the school has some online classes I've thinking about enrolling in a few, moving back to my home state, and working in research lab. This way I could save money, still be considered "in" the program and would perhaps look better on applications? (completing a year of the program, rather than just 1 semester). But not sure if this could work...

Good luck, whatever you end up doing!