Economics to Sociology

LMad9719

I'm a current Masters student in economics, and many of my research interests appear to align more with the work of sociologists than economists. I've searched through a few doctoral programs already, but I have just a few questions:

• Is it problematic to have no true formal background in sociology?
  • Do doctoral programs value strong math backgrounds?
  • Is this sort of transition common and does anyone have any firsthand experience with it?
  • Any and all advice is greatly appreciated as well

short reply since no one else has commented yet:

Nah, you have fundmental theory courses you'll take so it's not an issue. It's not an advantage though, either. 

Strong math and econometrics background is highly valued. 

• 1 month later...

I don't think it would be a huge issue, as long as you can show that you have been involved in sociological type pursuits. However (as far as other advice), I am curious if you have looked at the Human Ecology field (as it already merges the human social science with the aspect of human ecological economics, that your current academic background would be a bonus for)?

For a quick brief, Cornell University states: "Human Ecology exists to identify and address contemporary human issues from a variety of perspectives. We believe that the challenges facing individuals and societies today are generally too complicated to be understood from a single perspective, but that they require a consideration of a psychological, sociological, economic, design, and scientific approach."

The most important think would be how you shape your research questions sociologically in your SOP.  The line of thought should be within the scope of the ontological domains of sociology as opposed to economics. 
It would also not be incorrect to tell you that some faculties have a sort of antipathy to economics especially in exploring concepts such as social life. 
Even if the programme appears as a good fit, I would think it would be wise to go through a couple of journal articles of the faculties you are interested in working with to map out their line of thought.