Application deadline question

UndergradDad

For those applying to programs with early January deadlines, are you waiting until you get this semesters grades come in (like around the 17th or so in this case) to apply so the transcripts of this semester show up to add to your gpa (gpa will go up with this semesters grades added in)?

Personally, I went ahead and submitted the January-deadline applications at the same time as the earlier ones, so none of my programs will see my grades from this semester, even though I expect those grades to boost my overall GPA a bit. But the difference wasn't too big in my case; I suppose it might be worth waiting if the change in GPA will be significant enough to affect admissions decisions. For my part, I wasn't taking philosophy courses this semester, so I figured since they care more about my philosophy GPA anyway, why drag out this excruciating process further for something so minor.

I suspect admissions committees will be more interested in the spread of classes on your transcript, especially in the last two years. So it might behoove you to make sure you are registered for spring semester before generating the transcript (if you will still be taking classes next semester).

Some people do think grades say something about a student's likelihood to succeed in a graduate program, but I doubt one more semester will be what makes the difference in their assessment.